Vacuuming your own home is very important for maintaining good hygiene as well as a good form of exercise. However, when you are elderly, it can get quite difficult. Lightweight vacuum cleaners can be a better choice for older people. If you are searching for the best lightweight vacuum cleaner for elderly, here is our selection.
Elderlies can often have a hard time dragging around a heavy vacuum cleaner, or even constantly bending down to switch the cleaner on and off. This is why Oreck has designed a vacuum cleaner with special features to help out the elderly, making their regular vacuuming sessions much easier.
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Height: 48 inches
- Capacity: 630 cubic inches
- Easy to grip handlebar
- 40-foot cord
- Can be used on all surfaces
- On/off switch located on the handlebar itself; for convenience
- Extremely long power cord to help you vacuum lengths without having to constantly unplug the machine
- Impressive suction power by small machine
- Since it is a commercial grade vacuum, the power cord can be slightly heavy – due to its length; however, it is also detachable so you can attach a lighter and shorter power cord if needed
Amazing suction power for such a small and lightweight machine. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
A 2-in-1 vacuum which lets you use the advantages of 2 types of vacuum cleaners in one. You can use it as a stick vacuum or a handheld vacuum. Bissell’s Featherweight vacuum is a great versatile and lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly.
- Weight: 2.6 pounds
- 15-foot power cord
- 2 in 1 technology
- Compact and easy to use
- Can be used as a handheld device as well as a long stick vacuum
- The roller can be removed to ensure your floors do not get scratched
- Bagless design; simply vacuum and empty the debris to use again!
- The 15-foot power cord can be a little short for some users, however, you can easily attach an extension cord, or simply unplug and plug the vacuum to another power outlet and vacuum your whole house
A really featherlight model which is perfect for senior citizens to use and gain some independence when it comes to taking care of their own homes. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
A versatile vacuum which works as beautifully for your floors as it does for your ceilings. Several attachments for different cleaning needs. The Shark Rocket is a handy, lightweight vacuum for the elderly.
- Weight: 7.6 pounds
- Cord length: 25 feet
- Converts into hand vacuum easily
- Assortment of attachments
- Long cord so you can vacuum lengthy distances without any hassle; the machine is always charged for quick use
- Can be converted into a hand vacuum, used on carpets, upholstery and even floors and ceiling with ease
- All the controls of the machine are easily accessible at the fingertips
- The entire vacuum has to be taken out in order to remove the compiled dust and dirt, however, since the vacuum is so easy to maneuver and is lightweight, this is not a big issue
A unique vacuum cleaner which does not ever lose its suction power, the Shark Rocket is a perfect match for elderly individuals who wish to keep their homes from the top ceilings till the bottom floors completely spick and span. Click here to check the current price on Amazon. We have 3 other Shark vacuum reviews in this post.
An easy to operate, cord-free vacuum cleaner, the Hoover Linx cordless vacuum cleaner is a top pick amongst best vacuums for senior citizens simply because it is lightweight, easy to use, can reach under furniture very easily without having to move and shift things around. Not having to drag a cord around is a big plus.
- Weight: 12 pounds
- Cordless technology
- Comes with lithium battery included
- Conveniently positioned control buttons so you do not need to bend down to change controls
- Bagless design
- A wide cleaning path to cover more surface area
- A battery fuel gauge which allows you to see exactly how much power is left on your Hoover, so you can easily charge it before using
- Edge cleaning bristle design which allows you to reach every nook, corner, and the edge of your home without missing a single spot
- Simply switch to another battery when one dies out, so you don’t need to wait for recharging your Hoover to continue vacuuming
- Each charge will provide around 15 minutes of work time, after which you will have to recharge the Hoover to continue using it. However, there is a very easy fix to this. You can simply purchase another Lithium-ion battery and replace it with the drained out battery. Then, simply charge both batteries together to save time the next time you clean! Although to be honest, not many old people will vacuum more than 15 minutes.
One of the most convenient vacuum cleaners for the elderly to use due to its cordless design. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
A powerful suction, HEPA filter, easy to maneuver swivel and a bagless design is what makes the Panasonic Bagless Vacuum Cleaner such a popular choice amongst older people. Most vacuum cleaners can be quite difficult to maneuver with their long cords which easily get tangled up with your feet. The 360-degree swivel hose has been developed while keeping in mind this issue that elderlies might face.
- Weight: 13 pounds
- Cord length: 16 feet
- Light blue color
- HEPA filter
- Canister design
- Bagless design
- The metal attachment at the bottom of the hose can be extended to make the hose longer so that you do not need to bend down for vacuuming
- The 360-degree swivel hose can be rotated and twisted in any direction without worrying about the cord getting tangled up or twisted
- Bagless design, making it more lightweight to use and easy to move around and clean
- The container must be cleaned out regularly otherwise the suction power is not optimal. However, this is a very small issue, as emptying the dirt container is very easy and convenient. It can be cleaned after every use without any hassle and you can enjoy a full suction power on the vacuum cleaner every time!
A bagless and hassle less vacuum cleaner, the Panasonic vacuum cleaner is really quite convenient to use for senior citizens. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
How light should a lightweight vacuum cleaner be
Well, this depends on the person using it. If you are a strong and big person there is a bigger pile to choose from. In general, any vacuum that is lighter than 4kg is considered a lightweight vacuum. Upright vacuum cleaners can go up to 6kg as the most weight is transferred to the floor it stands on.
How to choose a lightweight vacuum cleaner
Alright, you’ve already seen my top 5 lightweight vacuum cleaners, but now you can’t figure it out which one of these 5 you want to buy? There are a few things you need to take into consideration when making a final decision which I will go through in the following chapters of this mini buyers guide.
Types of vacuums
Upright Vacuums – They usually tend to be a bit cheaper than the canister vacuums and work better for deep carpeting. Especially the bagged type of upright vacuums. Easy to store in tight spaces. The negative: some of them can be on the heavier side and a bit more noisy than the rest.
Canister vacuums – These are great for cleaning bare floors or stairs. Canister vacuums can easily reach under furniture (something that most upright vacuums can’t really do), are great for cleaning the drapes as well as upholstery. The negative: the bulky part where the storage and the machine is can be annoying to maneuver. Also, these tend to occupy more space when storing.
Stick Vacuums – Similar to the upright, just a bit smaller and lighter. These are the lightest options you can get out there. Most of them are battery powered. The negative side – not as powerful as the other two types.
Cordless vs Corded vacuum cleaner
The first thing you have to ask yourself is what do you prefer, cordless or a corded vacuum. Do you want the liberty to go around your home without a long cable flowing your every single step or you prefer never having to think about chargers or batteries? Both types have their pros and cons and here they are:
Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
- Lighter than most of the corded vacuums
- No need to watch what is going on behind you, or getting stuck
- Some have a small handheld version as part of the whole vacuum
- Easier to store as they are usually smaller
- You can use them outside of your home as well (cars, vans, campers)
- Limited using time because of short battery life
- Smaller dirt/dust container
- Need a storage point that has access to a plug for charging
- Slightly higher price than the corded vacuums
Corded Vacuum Cleaners
- Better suction power
- You can use them as long as you want
- Bigger dust capacity
- Usually cheaper than the cordless
- You will be restricted by the cord
- It is usually heavier than the cordless
Bag or Bagless vacuum cleaner
This is mainly due to personal preference. Both will do a great job. The only thing you need to care about is the dust that is being released in the air. Bagless vacuum cleaners tend to release some of the dust back into the air when being emptied. If you have a family member that suffers from allergies or asthma, this is something you will need to take into consideration.
How many people you have at home and how often they move around will determine the type of vacuum you need. Going barefoot or with shoes that you use outside is also a factor. High traffic in your home will make your carpets and floors dirtier and you will need a more powerful vacuum that you will use on a regular basis.
The type of carpet fibers
Natural fibers are usually more gentle so you must be careful when cleaning. You need a vacuum that is not extremely powerful. Make sure the add-ons to the vacuum are not too aggressive. If you have a synthetic fiber carpet in your home, you can be more aggressive. They are more resilient to any torture while cleaning. Also, make sure you check the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning. Each carpet is different.
This is where the customer reviews on Amazon come handy. On every product, you can see tons of reviews from real users. At least for me, this is the most relevant source of information when it comes to quality. Every manufacturer says they created the best vacuum ever, but the truth comes from the customers that are using the product.
Another thing to have in mind. Check the warranty length. The longer the warranty period, usually means better quality.
Nobody wants a vacuum that will shake up the whole neighborhood. The lower the decibels (dB) levels the better. Just to have a reference point here are a few noise levels:
Conversation – 50dB
Garbage disposal – 80dB
Lawnmower – 100dB
This part overlaps with the cord vs cordless vacuums. If you have a big house with a lot of rooms, or you need to vacuum more often due to heavy traffic, you will need a cleaner that has a bigger capacity. You don’t want to empty it a few times in one day, right?
Ask yourself where are you going to keep this vacuum. If you live in a small apartment maybe get a smaller vacuum that doesn’t take too much space. Check if it fits your storage space dimensions. You can see the dimensions in the description of every vacuum cleaner.
Types and number of attachments
Pick the one that has the attachments you really need. To be honest there are just a few out there that you will ever use. Don’t go for stuff that will just take up more space.
If you want to save a few bucks here is our selection of the best vacuum cleaners under $50.