Dirty baseboards are far more dangerous than just ruining the visual appeal of your home. The dirt can accumulate over time and even develop mold, mites, and a host of other issues for your home. However, if you have a bad back, bending over to clean your baseboard can be an issue. Luckily there is an easy way to clean baseboards without bending over. Here are all the tricks that you can use.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to clean baseboards using vinegar and water
- 2 How to clean baseboards using a vacuum cleaner
- 3 How to clean baseboards using a soft-bristled broom
- 4 How to clean your baseboard with fabric softener sheets
- 5 How to clean your baseboards with soap and water
- 6 How to clean your baseboards with a microfiber cloth
How to clean baseboards using vinegar and water
One of the easiest ways to give your baseboards thorough cleaning is to use a solution of vinegar and water, and of course, a bucket and a mop. Here is how you can do it:
- Grab hold of a bucket and a mop with an extendable handle so that you can extend the handle as much as you need to clean your baseboards without having to bend your back.
- Fill in your bucket with water and one cup of distilled white vinegar.
- Mix this well to create a cleaning solution.
- Now, without having to bend over, you can simply use your mop to clean your baseboard and remove all of the stubborn stains, dirt, and even odors from your baseboard easily.
- Once you finish wiping down your baseboards with the vinegar and water solution, you can wipe the area again using plain, clean water, to get rid of any excess vinegar.
- Let the area air dry, or dry it off using a clean, dry mop.
How to clean baseboards using a vacuum cleaner
For this cleaning method, you will have to use a canister vacuum cleaner and not a handheld vacuum cleaner, so that you can vacuum without having to bend down. Here is how you can do it:
- You can use the attachment hose on your vacuum cleaner so that you can easily reach the corners and hard to reach areas on your baseboard without having to bend down.
- Vacuum your baseboard 2 or 3 times to make sure that you target all of the dust and dirt from this area. You can always use the long, detachable wands to ensure that you don’t need to bend down when you are cleaning the baseboard.
How to clean baseboards using a soft-bristled broom
Here is another excellent cleaning method for your baseboard which you can regularly use, without having to bend and hurt your back while you do it! Here is how you can do it:
- You can use a soft-bristled broom with a long handle for this so that you don’t need to bend down while cleaning your baseboard.
- Simply sweep your baseboard area one or two times and collect the dirt in one corner with your soft-bristled broom.
- Once you collect all the dirt, simply use your vacuum cleaner to vacuum up the dust and debris from the corner. For more thorough cleaning, you can even vacuum over the baseboard area once using the long attachment hose of your vacuum cleaner.
- Finally, simply dump out the contents of your vacuum cleaner in the bin and you are done! You can use this cleaning method 3 times a week to keep your baseboards clean regularly.
How to clean your baseboard with fabric softener sheets
Here is another excellent method that you can use to clean your baseboards without having to bend down. The properties of the fabric softener sheets will also create a sort of dust repelling barrier on your baseboards. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a few fabric softener sheets and attach them to the end of your broom (you can use rubber bands or clips for this).
- Using your broom with the fabric softener sheets at the end, sweep your baseboards as you would typically do. The fabric softener sheets will pick up dirt, grime, and dust residue from your baseboards easily.
- Remember to change the fabric softener sheets and attach a new one if the old one becomes dirty.
- Finally, you can dispose of the sheets once you finish cleaning your baseboards.
How to clean your baseboards with soap and water
Of course, one of the most comfortable and most effective methods to clean your baseboards is to use a solution of soap and water naturally. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a large bucket and add some lukewarm water and liquid soap into it.
- Mix this well to create a soapy solution.
- Now, you can either take a mop, or you can take the long toilet cleaning wand and attach an old, clean cloth to it.
- Using this tool, dip your wand or mop into the soapy bucket and clean your baseboards.
- Once you finish this method, remember to attach a clean, dry cloth or take a dry mop and sweep over the baseboards once again so that they are not too moist.
- Allow the baseboards to dry naturally.
How to clean your baseboards with a microfiber cloth
A microfiber cloth is especially great for cleaning your baseboards as it allows you to pick up the fine particles of dust, debris, and dirt from your baseboards. Here is how you can do it:
- Create a soap and water solution or a vinegar and water solution in a large bucket. Do this by adding water to a bucket, and then adding a few drops of liquid soap, or one cup of white, distilled vinegar into the bucket.
- Mix this well to create your cleaning solution.
- Now, take a large yardstick, or simply attach the microfiber cloth to your broom using a few clips or some rubber bands. Keep a few microfiber cloths handy in case you need to change the previous dirty cloth.
- Dip the microfiber cloth into the soap and water or vinegar and water solution and use this to wipe down your baseboards thoroughly.
- Wring out any excess water from the cloth and wipe it down till it is completely clean.
- Finally, wipe down your baseboards with a clean and dry microfiber cloth and allow it to air dry.