Those who wear eyeglasses understand the pain of dealing with dirty glasses with fingerprints on them. While you can always opt for cleaners from stores, why not make it easier and affordable by making your own cleaner? Here are a few ways you can make your own homemade cleaner for eyeglasses!
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using rubbing alcohol and soap
- 2 How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using soap and water
- 3 How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using glycerin and sassafras
- 4 How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using baby wash and water
- 5 How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using vinegar and water
- 6 How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using ammonia and rubbing alcohol
How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using rubbing alcohol and soap
An easy and very effective solution for an eyeglass cleaner is to use rubbing alcohol, soap, and water only! Here is how you can make it:
- Take a spray bottle and fill it up with 3 parts of rubbing alcohol and just 1 part of water.
- Add only 1 or 2 drops of any mild dish soap to this solution and mix it well to create a cleaner.
- Now, every time you need to clean your eyeglasses, simply spritz the cleaner directly on them and gently wipe it away with a microfiber cloth to reveal clean and crystal clear eyeglasses.
How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using soap and water
One of the easiest ways to clean your eyeglasses would be to use a mixture of soap and water naturally. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a medium-size bowl and add warm water, and a few drops of liquid dish soap into it. Mix this well to create a soapy solution.
- Now, take your eyeglasses by the stems and dip the glass portion into the soapy solution. Swirl the glasses around slightly in the water.
- With your fingers, very gently rub the glasses using soft, circular motions. Do not use any other kind of cleaner as it might be too abrasive for your glasses.
- Rinse off the glass with clean water, and shake it dry.
- Finally, take a microfiber cloth and polish the glass gently. Remember not to apply too much pressure as you may damage the surface of the glass.
How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using glycerin and sassafras
Here is a unique but handy eyeglass cleaner which also acts as a steam prevention solution. This is how you can make it:
- Take one tablespoon of glycerin and just half a teaspoon of the oil of sassafras and mix it well in a small container.
- Now, take 1/4th of a bar of Castile soap and cut it up into tiny pieces. Add the soap pieces into a small pot with some water and bring the mixture to a boil. Keep stirring the solution continuously as it comes to a boil. In case there are any lumps, continue stirring and mixing it well till all the lumps dissolve naturally.
- Add the mixture of oil of sassafras and glycerin into the pot and stir it for about a minute.
- Now, remove the pot from the stove and allow it to cool down naturally.
- Store the entire solution in a jar or a small bottle.
- Take a small amount of the cleaner and apply it to both sides of the lenses using your fingers only.
- Take a soft polishing cloth or microfiber cloth and polish both sides of the eyeglasses well.
How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using baby wash and water
Another excellent solution for an eyeglass cleaner made at home is to use a mild baby wash and water to create a solution. Here is how you can do it:
- Take your eyeglasses and run them under the tap for a few seconds first; this will get rid of any dirt and dust residue on your eyeglasses.
- Now, take a spray bottle and add 2 cups of distilled water to it.
- Add 4 teaspoons of a baby wash to this and mix it well to create a solution.
- Spray the solution directly on your glasses, on both the front and the back of each glass.
- Make sure your hands are clean before you do the next step; using your fingers only, rub the solution gently on the glasses to clean them thoroughly.
- Finally, rinse off the remaining solution from the glasses using running water and dry it off.
- Using a soft microfiber cloth, gently polish the glasses to make them completely clean and clear.
How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using vinegar and water
As simple as this sounds, the vinegar and water solution is actually a very effective cleaner for your eyeglasses! Here is how you can make it:
- Take a spray bottle and fill it up with 1 part of water and 3 parts of distilled white vinegar. Mix it well; this will be your cleaning solution.
- Take your eyeglasses and hold them under running water to wash off any dirt and dust from the surface of the glass. Without doing this first, you run the risk of scratching your glasses with the tiny pieces of dirt or residue which sit on them.
- Now, take your cleaning solution and spray it directly on both sides of the lenses.
- Take a microfiber cloth and gently rub and polish the solution on your eyeglasses to clean them thoroughly.
How to make a cleaner for eyeglasses using ammonia and rubbing alcohol
Here is another alternative cleaning solution that you can use for your eyeglasses. Here is how you can make it:
- Take a large bowl and add 1 quart of distilled water to it.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of a mild dishwashing liquid to the water.
- Now, add ½ a cup of rubbing alcohol to the mixture.
- Finally, add 2 tablespoons of ammonia to the solution and mix it well to create your cleaning solution.
- Fill up a spray bottle with the solution and store it well.
- Whenever you need to clean your eyeglasses, directly spray the solution on both sides of the lenses.
- Using a lint-free cloth, wipe off the cleaning solution from the lenses gently without applying too much pressure. Wait for a minute or so to allow the solution to completely dry off from your glasses before you wear them again.