Hardwood floors are the pride of any homeowner; not only do they look absolutely breathtaking, but they are also an asset to your home. Cloudy hardwood floors are the last thing that any homeowner wants to see in their home. Here are some of the best tips on how to clean cloudy hardwood floors.
We will also share with you some of the best cleaners and polishers, such as the Rejuvenate Wood Floor Professional Restorer, that helped us remove that nasty haze for good!
Table of Contents
- 1 Why do hardwood floors get cloudy?
- 2 How to clean cloudy hardwood floors with vinegar?
- 3 How to clean cloudy haze from hardwood floors with ammonia?
- 4 How to clean cloudy haze from hardwood floors with a microfiber cloth
- 5 How to clean cloudy hardwood floors using just water
- 6 How to prevent your hardwood floors from getting cloudy
- 7 Best tools and cleaners to remove cloudy haze from hardwood floors
Why do hardwood floors get cloudy?
There are a couple of perfectly simple explanations of why hardwood floors can get cloudy. My first guess is you’ve been using some cleaning product that you probably shouldn’t have been using on your hardwood floors. The cleaner can leave behind a cloudy residue on your floors (either salt deposits, or even a buildup on wax). It has happened to me before.
On the other hand, this cloudy presence could also be caused due to moisture or condensation. If the reason is moisture I am afraid none of the methods below will help.
How to clean cloudy hardwood floors with vinegar?
More often than not, salt deposits on the hardwood floors can cause them to have a cloudy appearance. Using vinegar can help in getting rid of the salt, and thus removing the cloudy appearance.
- The most important thing to remember is to use vinegar very sparingly. If not, you can actually cause more harm to your floors than do good. Use household white vinegar for this and dilute it as much as you can before using it on your floors.
- Mix a solution of vinegar and water (in an equal ratio) and apply this mixture on the floors.
- Now, using a damp cloth, gently scrub the floors in the circular motion to remove the cloudy salt deposits.
- With another clean, damp cloth, go over the entire area of the floor to remove any trace of the vinegar water from your floors.
- Immediately wipe off the water from the surface of your floors using a dry cloth. You need to be really quick about this so that you do not leave the water on the surface of your floors for too long and cause any damage.
How to clean cloudy haze from hardwood floors with ammonia?
Often, the cloudy top layer on your hardwood floors is due to improper cleaning techniques or just using the wrong cleaning solutions. However, this top layer is easy to remove. Here is how you can clean cloudy hardwood floors with ammonia:
- Fill a bucket with a gallon of water. Add just one cup of ammonia to this water and mix it well.
- With a soft, damp cloth, go over your hardwood floors with this ammonia and water solution. Remember to be extremely careful when using this as you definitely do not want to cause any more damage to your floors due to excess water.
- Once you have gone over the floor with the ammonia-water solution, use a clean, damp cloth to go over the floors once again. Be very careful during this step as you don’t want to keep the water on the surface of your hardwood floors for too long.
- Using a dry cloth or mop, wipe the surface area clean immediately.
How to clean cloudy haze from hardwood floors with a microfiber cloth
Either using the wrong cleaning products or simply the presence of moisture can really create an ugly, hazy, cloudy top coat over your otherwise beautiful hardwood floors. However, something as simple as a good microfiber cloth can really do wonders in removing this cloudy top coat off of your hardwood floors. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a damp cloth and a clean, dry microfiber cloth.
- Using the damp cloth, clean the top surface of your hardwood floors. However, be careful to not use too much water on the floor surface.
- Now, using the microfiber cloth, buff your floors properly. Make sure to really get on your hands and knees and apply pressure when you are buffing the floors. This might be a slightly time-consuming process and might even require a good amount of elbow grease, however, once you are done, you will be satisfied with the results.
How to clean cloudy hardwood floors using just water
Often, the cloudy finish on your hardwood floors is simply caused by a build-up of wax by using the wrong kind of cleaners on your hardwood floors. If this is the case, you can simply use some hot water to remove the top layer of the wax build-up and the cleaner from the surface of your hardwood floors. Here is what you need to do:
- Fill up a bucket with hot water (not boiling hot), and keep a damp cloth, as well as a dry cloth on you.
- Using the damp cloth, wipe over the surface of your hardwood floors. Avoid using a string or a sponge mop for your hardwood floors, as they do not work as well to absorb the moisture.
- You can gently exfoliate or scrub the floors using just the hot water and your damp cloth.
- Keep in mind that you should not keep the water on the surface of your hardwood floors for too long. Use the dry cloth to immediately wipe down the hardwood floors, and watch your hardwood floors come right back to life!
How to prevent your hardwood floors from getting cloudy
Simple mistakes such as using the wrong kind of hardwood floor cleaner or even the presence of excessive moisture can cause your hardwood to look cloudy. This can completely ruin the natural, beautiful, gleaming finish of your hardwood floors. Here is how you can prevent this from happening:
- Regular maintenance of your hardwood floors is extremely important; use a vacuum regularly to remove dust, dirt, and debris from the floors.
- Using a fine spray mist and a microfiber cloth, regularly wipe down your floors. Keep in mind that you should have a dry cloth to dry off your floors immediately.
- Do not allow water to stand for too long on your hardwood floors as this can damage and cause haziness or cloudiness.
- Do not use the ammonia solution too often on your floors.
If you have any tips on how to clean cloudy hardwood floors, please share them with us in the comment section below.
Best tools and cleaners to remove cloudy haze from hardwood floors
Sometimes it doesn’t matter how hard you scrub or how many times you try, the methods from above will not be able to help you. In those cases, you will need some professional help. Below are the best products we used throughout the years of living in a home with hardwood floors.
Swiffer Sweeper Dry and Wet Mop
Swiffer Sweeper is a 2 in 1 mop that helps you do dry and wet cleaning on your floors. Very agile and flexible to reach even the most unreachable spaces. Removes the dirt very efficiently leaving you with shiny hardwood floors. This is the best mop we’ve ever used, by far!Check the price on Amazon
Before we even start talking about some good products, one of the most important things you need for clean, shiny hardwood floors is a great wet and dry mop.
The Swiffer Sweeper Dry and Wet Mop is the best product we’ve ever used. It is light easy to use and quite flexible mop to clean that removes any kind of dirt from hardwood floors.
The Swiffer Sweeper contains 1 mop along with 7 dry pads and 3 wet pads. This allows you to alternately use both the dry as well as the wet mop for different cleaning purposes. The dry mop picks up dust, dirt, hair and pet dander like a pro, while the wet mop works like magic when it comes to dissolving dirt and grime off your hardwood floors.
The wet mop also comes in a textured format which allows it to really dislodge any stains and grime which might have stained your hardwood floors, making it look hazy or cloudy.
The Swiffer Sweeper mops can be replaced once you are done using them.
Why We Like It:
- No need for a broom and bucket; the Swiffer Sweeper does it all on its own.
- The mop is retractable into 4 parts, allowing you to carry it along wherever you go, or store it into tiny spaces in your home.
- The wet and dry mop heads can be replaced when dirty, so you don’t need to wash them. And they are quite affordable as well!
What We Don’t Like:
- The clips used to hold the mop cloth in place sometimes might come off while mopping or scrubbing the floors.
However, there is a simple enough solution to this! Just use a few additional clips of your own to hold the cloth in place with the mop, and you will face no more issues.
Why You Should Get It:
Owning a good wet and dry mop is very important to maintain your hardwood floors. Thankfully, the Swiffer Sweeper is so affordable that you won’t think twice before getting it! This is the best mop we ever used to clean our hardwood floors. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Rejuvenate Wood Floor Professional Restorer
Rejuvenate’s Professional Wood Floor Restorer is quite the product. It fills up any scratches, restores back the shine and ads a protective coating on the hardwood floors. The formula is non-toxic, making it safe for you and your family. Once you use it on your floors, you will see an immediate effect that will last for the years to come.Check the price on Amazon
Getting little stains, scratches, and spills on your hardwood floors is common, no matter how careful you are. Finding a good hardwood floor restorer is a big deal. After testing many different hardwood restorers throughout the years, we found the best results with Rejuvenate Wood Floor Professional Restorer. It removes any cloudiness and haze, fills in the scratches and removes spills and stains within one use!
Before you start using it you need to remember that this is not a cleaner, but a restorer. It brings back the shine of the floors. It doesn’t remove any stubborn stains, so you need to clean your floors thoroughly before you apply the solution.
The fast working formula dries up within 45 minutes and provides you with fresh, shiny hardwood floors without any haze or dirt residue. The fluid is completely safe and non-toxic and can be used in any home. It is designed to bond with the existing finish, thus, protecting the hardwood floor for years.
The final result leaves you with a high gloss shine, making your hardwood floors look new right away. One bottle of this product covers 525 sq ft.!
Why We Like It:
- The high gloss finish restores the original look of the hardwood floors.
- The formula bonds with the finish, protecting the floors from further damage, spills, and stains.
- You can use the liquid on 525 sq ft. covering a vast area of your home!
- The formula dries up within an hour and is completely non-toxic and safe.
What We Don’t Like:
- In case you have any dirt or dust on your floors, the formula will really seal them in, making them harder to remove.
However, there is a straightforward fix for this too! Make sure that you really clean your hardwood floors thoroughly before using the restorer to avoid this from happening.
Why You Should Get It:
Finding a hardwood floor restorer which actually polishes your floors, making it look like new, while still being an affordable product is a miracle! Rejuvenate Wood Floor Professional Restorer is a professional strength product which seals and protects your hardwood floors for years to come. The formula is non-toxic and safe to use as many times as you wish. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Bona’s Hardwood Floor Cleaner is the best cleaner we’ve used when dealing with tough stains. The formula goes deep inside the small cracks of the glossy finish of the hardwood floors and removes all of the dirt. You can use it on all unwaxed, unoiled or polyurethane finished hardwood floors. It is entirely safe for daily usage.Check the price on Amazon
For those who live in a house of children and pets, finding the right kind of hardwood floor cleaner can be a challenge. Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner is the perfect cleaner for these homes. The safe to use non-toxic formula can be used without fear of any harm to those in the house.
You can use Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner, unlike other floor cleaners, on all kinds of floors, including unwaxed, unoiled polyurethane finished hardwood floors.
The formula emits a meager amount of VOC making it the safest solution you can use in your home.
Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner is a fast drying solution which leaves no residue or marks on your hardwood floors, making them look fresh and new. Remove the cloudy, hazy appearance off your hardwood floors with ease using Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner.
Why We Like It:
- The low VOC, safe, non-toxic formula makes it the best product to use in a home of children and pets.
- The formula dries very quickly, so you do not have to worry about any kind of marks or dust settling upon the drying hardwood floors.
- You can use Bona on all types of hardwood floors without any fear of damage.
- The splash-less technology of Bona allows you to pour it out without any spillage or wastage. The side grip lets you hold the bottle with a steady grip and good flow.
What We Don’t Like:
- The formula might leave a thin film on the hardwood floors at times.
However, all you need to do is just damped cloth and run it over with a Swiffer Sweeper, and the film will be gone instantly!
Why You Should Get It:
A hardwood floor cleaner which is safe to use at home can be a difficult find; however, Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner works like a charm for your hardwood floor at home. The fast drying solution is a boon for those living in a house with pets and children. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon!