Relaxing in your hot tub after a long week seems like the best thing to look forward to for most people. However, you already must know how important it is to keep your hot tub filters clean, for hygienic reasons. One thing is for sure; you can easily clean your hot tub filter at home with some natural homemade solutions. Here are a few easy and practical ways for those looking for how to clean hot tub filter.
Table of Contents
How to clean a hot tub filter using soap and water
One of the most natural methods to clean your hot tub filter is to use dishwashing soap and water. However, make sure that you use dishwashing soap only, and not laundry detergent for this cleaning method. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your hot tub filter carefully after switching off your hot tub jets.
- Take a large bucket, or your bathtub, and fill it up with lukewarm water.
- Add a few squirts of a dishwashing liquid soap or detergent into this, and mix it well to create a soapy solution.
- Gently place your hot tub filter into this soapy solution and allow it to soak for 15 minutes.
- Now, take a sponge or an old toothbrush and gently scrub your filter manually. You will find that most of the dirt and grime easily comes off, especially after soaking it in the soapy water solution.
- Now, rinse out your hot tub filter till the water is running clear.
- Dry the hot tub filter using a clean, dry towel and allow it to thoroughly air dry before you place it back into your hot tub.
How to clean a hot tub filter using trisodium phosphate
A natural and quite common homemade solution for cleaning your hot tub filter is to use TSP or Trisodium Phosphate as a cleaning agent. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a large bucket and fill it up with 5 gallons of water.
- Add just 1 cup of TSP or Trisodium Phosphate to the water and stir it well to create a cleaning solution.
- Gently place your hot tub filter into this bucket and allow it to soak undisturbed for 1 to 2 hours.
- After about 2 hours, remove the filter from the cleaning solution and rinse it off thoroughly with a garden hose, till the water runs completely clear.
- Allow the hot tub filter to dry completely overnight before you place it back into your hot tub.
How to clean a hot tub filter using vinegar
Here is another excellent method you can use to clean your hot tub filter at home using just white distilled vinegar as a cleaning solution. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a large bucket and fill it with 5 gallons of lukewarm water.
- Pour in 3 cups of distilled white vinegar into this and mix it well to create a solution.
- Submerge your hot tub filter into the bucket and allow it to sit undisturbed for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the hot tub filter from the vinegar solution and rinse it off using your garden hose on medium pressure. Make sure that you rinse off the filter very thoroughly, and there are no remnants of vinegar in the filter.
- Keep the filter outside overnight till it dries completely, and only then place it back into your hot tub.
How to clean a hot tub filter using olive oil
Olive oil is a great agent for loosening up and breaking down stubborn grime and dirt stuck in your hot tub filters. Here is how you can use olive oil for cleaning your hot tub filter:
- Remove your hot tub filters carefully and place them on top of some clean paper towels so you can catch any dirt and grime that falls during cleaning.
- Take a sponge or a clean, dry cloth and dip it into some olive oil.
- Gently clean and scrub your entire hot tub filter with the sponge. Most of the stuck up dirt and grime will slowly loosen up so that you can simply wipe it off using a clean cloth.
- If there are still some dirt or grime on the hot tub filter, you can take a soft toothbrush and scrub the filter till the rest of the soil loosens up, and you can easily wash it away.
- Using your garden hose, rinse off your hot tub filter so that it is spotless and rid of olive oil as well as dirt and grime.
- Allow the filter to dry naturally overnight before you place it back into your hot tub.
How to clean a hot tub filter using diluted bleach
Just like vinegar, bleach also helps to break down the tough stains and grime. However, the added advantage of bleach is that it also disinfects your hot tub filter. Here is how you can use it:
- Drain your hot tub and carefully remove the filter.
- Wear protective gloves and eye gear when doing this step, as the bleach can irritate your eyes and skin if you are not careful enough.
- Take a small bucket and fill it up with equal parts of bleach and water. Mix this well to create a solution.
- Take your hot tub filter and gently place it into the bucket of bleach and water and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes completely undisturbed.
- Now, take a soft, clean rag or a sponge and scrub down the hot tub filter thoroughly to remove all the dirt and grime. Even the stubborn residue should quickly come off after the bleach solution.
- Take the hot tub filter outside and spray it down with a garden hose. Again, make sure that you are wearing protective eye gear so that the bleach does not accidentally splash back on you and harm you.
- Rinse out the hot tub filter very thoroughly so that there is no remaining bleach residue on it.
- Allow it to air-dry overnight, and then only place it back into your hot tub.
How important it is to maintain the hygiene in your hot tub – time.com