Jade is a beautiful green or reddish-brown colored precious stone which has ornamental as well as healing and spiritual purposes. Jade stones are great for pendants, crystals, earrings, rings, statues, and for healing purposes as well. If you are looking for some great methods of how to clean jade to keep it looking new and shining, here is everything you need to know about it!
Table of Contents
How to clean your jade stone using soap and water
If you want to regularly clean your jade stone just to keep dirt, dust, and marks at bay, then soap and water is an excellent cleaning solution for your jade. Here is how you can do it:
- If you are going to clean your jade stone in the sink, make sure that you use a filter so that you don’t lose your stone if it slips and falls from your fingers while cleaning.
- Take a soft cloth and wet it under running water. With the wet cloth, wipe the surface of your jade properly.
- Now, take a small bowl and add a few drops of hand washing liquid into the container. Now, add some warm water and mix the solution thoroughly to create a soapy mixture. (In case the jade has stubborn dirt or stains on it, take a large container and fill it up with hot water and soap. Mix it up well, and place your jade into the solution for 2 minutes. The process loosens up the dirt, oils, sweat, marks, and stains from your jade so you can clean it quickly).
- Using a soft cloth or a soft brush, dip the cloth or brush into the soapy water solution and use it to scrub all the parts of your jade gently. Use only gentle movements and do not scrub very aggressively, as you may end up scratching your jade.
- Now, rinse out the jade under running water.
- Dry your jade stone or jewelry either by blotting it with a towel or by using an air dryer at the lowest setting.
- Lastly, if you wish to polish your jade, you can use some olive oil and a polishing cloth to clean your jade and make it shine as good as new once again.
How to clean your jade stone using vinegar
Another excellent method to clean your jade is to use vinegar as a cleaning agent. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small container and create a diluted mixture of white vinegar and water.
- Place your jade stone or jewelry into the vinegar-water mixture and let it sit for about 15 minutes or lesser.
- After 15 minutes, carefully remove the jade from the vinegar solution. Take a little bit of liquid handwashing soap in a soft brush or a sponge and clean your jade with this.
- Rinse off your jade under running water to clean it thoroughly.
- Take a soft, dry cloth and dry your jade entirely before you store it or wear it again.
- If you wish to, you can polish your jade with a polishing cloth and some olive oil.
How to clean your jade stone using ammonia
In this method, you can learn to clean your jade using a mild ammonia solution. However, you should be very careful when using this method as jade is a delicate stone. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a large bowl and mix 8 parts of water, 1 part dish soap and 1 part ammonia in it. Mix the entire solution well.
- Take a soft cloth or a soft brush and dip it into the solution.
- Use very light and gentle pressure to clean the surface of your jade with the brush and the cleaning solution.
- Rinse out the jade under running water.
- Take an air dryer or merely a dry, clean cloth and dry your jade carefully.
- Take some olive oil or wax and polish your jade using a polishing cloth to bring back its shine and polish.
How to clean your jade stone using baking soda
Another alternative method to clean your jade is to use baking soda to clean it. However, you must be very careful with this method as well, as baking soda can be slightly abrasive and you don’t want to scratch your beautiful jade while cleaning. Here is how you can do it:
- Take one gallon of water in a bucket and add just ½ cup baking soda to it. Mix this well.
- Take a small amount of the soda water and apply it directly on your jade. Do not dip the jade into the soda water solution, instead, pick up some solution and pour it on your jade.
- Take a soft cloth or a sponge and gently rub the surface of the jade. Be very careful during this step as the baking soda can be abrasive, and you don’t want to damage your stone while cleaning it.
- Rinse your jade under running water. Take a soft, clean cloth and dry the jade completely.
- Finally, take some wax or olive oil and a polishing cloth and gently polish your jade stone or jewelry to make it shine once again.
How to clean your jade stone using ketchup
Finally, one last method you can use to clean your jade stone is to use ketchup as a cleaning agent. Ketchup has acidic properties which can break down dirt and debris from your jade, helping you to clean it. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and pour a generous amount of ketchup into it. Use only tomato ketchup for this method and not a hot sauce or any other kind of sauce.
- Place your jade into the bowl and let it immerse in the ketchup for about 5 to 10 minutes only.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, remove your jade from the ketchup bowl and take a sponge or a toothbrush to scrub and clean it gently.
- Run your jade under running water and dry it using an air dryer or a soft, clean towel.
- Finally, use some wax or olive oil to polish your jade and bring back its shine.