Neoprene is a synthetic rubber which is used for making a variety of outdoor materials and is used for marine, automotive and even medical applications. It has excellent durability and has a lot of applications. When it comes to cleaning your neoprene, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Here is everything you need to know about how to clean neoprene.
Table of Contents
How to clean your neoprene using soap and water
The easiest method that you can use to clean anything made of neoprene is to use soap and water. Here is how you can do it:
- In case there are any stains on the material, take a damp cloth and wipe away the stain immediately.
- Now, take a small bowl and fill it up with lukewarm water. You can use a mild liquid handwashing soap or a bar of mild soap for this method. If you are using a bar of soap, drop it into the lukewarm water and allow the solution to become sudsy and soapy. If you are using liquid soap, squirt a few drops of the liquid soap into the bowl of lukewarm water and mix it.
- Now, take an old toothbrush and dip it into this soapy solution. Take the neoprene and gently scrub it using the toothbrush and the soapy solution. Be very careful while rubbing, as you don’t want to destroy or damage the material.
- Once you have cleaned the neoprene, run it under cold water to remove the excess soap, till the water runs clear.
- Layout the neoprene on a flat surface and allow it to dry naturally. Do not use any dryer or even clothespin for drying the material, as it might stretch out the material and damage it.
How to clean your neoprene in the washing machine
You can even choose to clean the neoprene in a washing machine, but do not wash it for a full cycle, instead, allow the washing machine to mix up the water and detergent, and then soak your neoprene into it for a while. Here is how you can do it:
- Fill up your washing machine using just lukewarm water (remember not to use hot water for this material).
- Put in a mild detergent into the washing machine and allow it to mix it up during a cycle. After this, add your neoprene item into the washing machine and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
- Run your washing machine for a short cycle on a gentle setting.
- Now, remove the neoprene item from the washing machine and rinse it out under cold water only. Once you have done this, allow the neoprene to air dry naturally. Do not put the neoprene outside in direct sunlight for drying, as it will damage the material.
How to clean your neoprene using vinegar
In case of any stubborn stains, odors, or even the presence of mildew on your neoprene items, you can use a diluted solution of vinegar and water to clean the neoprene. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a spray bottle and fill it up with equal parts of white, distilled vinegar and lukewarm water. Mix this solution well.
- Take your neoprene item and directly spray the vinegar and water solution on it. Allow this to soak for just about 10 minutes.
- Now, rinse out the neoprene in cold water till the neoprene is completely clean.
- Air dry your neoprene item naturally; do not place it into a dryer or dry it in direct sunlight, as it will damage the item.
How to clean your neoprene using a vacuum cleaner
You can use a vacuum cleaner for dry cleaning your neoprene in case there are no stains, but just for a regular clean up. Here is how you can do it:
- Layout your neoprene item flat with a large towel underneath it.
- Take your handheld vacuum cleaner or attach the narrow nozzle to your canister vacuum cleaner and vacuum your neoprene on a low suction setting.
- Turn over the item and vacuum the other side as well.
- Now, simply hang out the item to remove any kind of musty smells or odors. Do not place it in direct sunlight.
How to clean your neoprene using lacquer thinner
You might have some oil or grease stains on your neoprene item. However, you can easily remove it with just a little bit of lacquer thinner. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a clean, dry, white cloth and pour a small amount of lacquer thinner on to it. Make sure that you do not put the excessive liquid on it, just slightly dip the cloth into it.
- Rub the oil or grease-stained area gently using the lacquer thinner. Do not rub it too aggressively as you don’t want to damage the material.
- Now, take a bucket and fill it up with some lukewarm. Add a few drops of a mild hand washing soap into this and mix it well to create a soapy solution.
- Soak your neoprene item into this entirely, or simply use a brush and dip it into the soapy solution and use it for a spot cleaning treatment.
- Rinse out the neoprene item under cold water only, as this will remove the excess soapy solution. Keep rinsing out the material until the water runs clear.
- Now, place your item under a large towel and allow it to air dry naturally.
How to clean your neoprene using your garden hose
Sometimes, all you need is just some water to clean out your neoprene item! Here is how you can do it:
- Take your neoprene item outdoors and place it or hang it from somewhere.
- Take your garden hose and put it on a medium power setting. Use this water pressure to clean out the neoprene item thoroughly. You can use either lukewarm water or cold water for this.
- Once you have done this, let your neoprene item air dry naturally. Do not hang it from a clothespin or allow it to dry in direct sunlight.