Plastic bottles can be a lifesaver when you are traveling for long hours and need to carry a drink with you. However, using and reusing old plastic bottles may make their insides look and smell quite old and gross. Here are a few easy tips on how to clean plastic bottles from inside and have them as good as new once again! Besides the homemade solutions you can read reviews of some of the best cleaning products such as the Hydrapak Bottle Tablets, you can buy on Amazon today.
How to clean plastic bottles using dishwashing soap
This is probably the easiest and fastest working method to clean the insides of your plastic bottles.
- Add some warm water halfway up your plastic bottle, and add a few drops of any dishwashing liquid into the bottle.
- Now, shake the plastic bottle in up and downwards motions, sideways and circular motions to really get the soapy water all over the insides of the plastic bottle.
- Using a special bottle brush, scrub the inside of the bottle cap as well as the insides of the plastic bottle gently. I use the OXO Good Grips Bottle Brush, which you can get on Amazon.
- Scrub the insides of the plastic bottle properly to reach all the nooks and corners of the bottle.
- Leave the bottle in the open air to dry naturally.
How to clean plastic bottles using vinegar and baking soda
Vinegar and baking soda can help to clean and sanitize the insides of your plastic bottle effectively for you to reuse your bottle without the fear of germs.
- Vinegar is an ideal cleaning product as well as a good sanitizer. Fill up your plastic bottle 1/5th of the way with white vinegar, and fill the rest of the length of the bottle with warm water. Add just a teaspoon of baking soda to this solution.
- Allow this solution to sit overnight undisturbed, and in the morning, rinse out the inside of the bottle with hot water and towel dry the bottle.
How to clean plastic bottles from inside using rice
Raw, uncooked rice can be extremely helpful in cleaning the insides of plastic bottles, especially those bottles which are irregularly shaped.
- Add a few drops of dishwashing soap, some warm water, and fill the inside of the bottle up to 1/4th with raw, uncooked rice.
- Make sure that you fill the rest of the part of the bottle with warm water without leaving much space inside.
- Vigorously shake the bottle in every direction for about a minute or two. The rice will reach into all the nooks and corners of the bottle which a brush might not otherwise reach. The warm or hot soapy water will help loosen up any sticky residue inside the bottle.
- Empty out the contents of the bottle using a strainer so that you can catch the rice and not let it fall down your drain, as this might clog your drains.
- Rinse the bottle thoroughly using clean water, and repeat this process a few times if you feel necessary.
- Use an antibacterial soap to finally rinse out the inside of the bottle and remove any final residue, before reusing the bottle again.
How to clean plastic bottles using salt
- Add a few teaspoons of coarse salt to the inside of your bottle, and fill up the bottle with hot or warm water.
- Swirl the bottle around so that the salt reaches all the little ends of the inside of the plastic bottle.
- Empty out the contents of the bottle and rinse it out well with an antibacterial soap, or using a drop of bleach. Make sure that you rinse out the bleach well before using the plastic bottle again.
Commercial cleaners for cleaning the inside of plastic bottles
These home remedies can be really effective in cleaning the insides of your plastic bottles. However, if you are looking for a stronger, commercial cleaning product for the same, here is our pick of the top 3 commercial cleaners for the inside of plastic bottles.
Hydrapak Bottle Bright Tablets
A solution as easy as – drop, foam and clean; Bottle Bright tablets are the perfect solution to getting rid of dirt and musty smells from the inside of your plastic bottles.
- 12 tablets in one pack
- Works in 15 to 30 minutes
- Product weight: 0.32 ounces
- Dimensions: 0.2 x 6.2 x 4 inches
- No scrubbing or shaking required; simply drop the tablet and let it sit
- Completely chemical free and bleach free, environmentally safe solution
- Removes muck as well as musty smells from plastic bottles
The product has a slightly mild scent of its own which can remain in the bottle. However, if you rinse out the inside of the bottle with warm water after using the tablet, this smell will disappear.
A no-scrub, no-chemical, easy to use solution for your plastic bottles. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
WheyClean The Shaker Bottle Cleaner
A product made specially to remove the mucky smell of protein shakes from plastic bottles, WheyClean works fast and effectively for the inside of any plastic bottle to remove any kind of dirt.
- Weight: 3 oz
- 12 products in one pack
- Non-toxic, biodegradable solution
- No sponge or brush required
- Works in just 30 seconds
- Leaves behind no residue
- No chlorine, no bleach and no phosphate solution; completely safe product
While the powder leaves no residue, it can leave a slightly mild scent. It is best to rinse out the plastic bottle before reusing it.
One of the most fast working cleaning solutions for plastic bottles. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Urnex Water Bottle Travel Mug Cleaner Tablets
The Urnex Bottle Cleaner Tablets, clean the inside of your plastic bottle in 30 minutes, leaving it sparkling clean and odor free! Great cleaner for travels.
- Pack of 8 tablets
- Weight: 1.12 ounces
- Dimensions: 0.1 x 2.8 x 4.8 inches
- You can use it for variety of bottles; plastic, metal, wine bottles…
- Easy to use, no need to scrub
- Works in 30 minutes; 60 minutes for more stubborn scum or odors
- Safe to use – biodegradable and Phoshphate free
Some of the stains can be hard to remove. Especially old ones. However, just let the tablet sit for 60 minutes and you are good to go. In the worst case you can repeat the process.
An easy to use tablet which you can easily carry around anywhere you need! Click here to check the current price on Amazon.