You might think that since you use your shower mats only after you step out of your clean shower, they do not really get that dirty. In fact, your shower mats can attract the most amount of dirt, dust, mold, and mildew due to its constant exposure to moisture. Whether you have rubber mats or shower mats made of cloth at home and you are wondering how to clean shower mats, here are some of the best methods you can use!
We personally like to use the Asutra Natural and Organic Mat Cleaner. It is a wonderful cleaner that removes mold dirt and even bad smells from our shower mats. You can read more on our impressions with the cleaner further down in this article. Before that here are a few tricks you can try now!
Table of Contents
- 1 Are shower mats sanitary?
- 2 How to clean your shower mat in the bathtub
- 3 How to clean your shower mat in the washing machine
- 4 How to clean your shower mat using detergent
- 5 How to clean your shower mat with baking soda
- 6 Best cleaners for shower mats
- 7 How to clean your shower mat using white vinegar
- 8 How to clean your shower mat with baking soda and vinegar
- 9 How often should you change your shower mat?
Are shower mats sanitary?
Since your shower mats regularly come into contact with water, soap, and body oils, they can get dirty very quickly. Also, because of where you keep them (the bathroom), they can start to grow mold and mildew and even have odors.
While shower mats can become unsanitary pretty fast, it is possible to prevent this from happening with regular cleaning. It is essential to clean your shower mats with a good quality cleaner- targeting germs, bacteria, mold, mildew, stains, and odors. Dry your shower mat thoroughly so that there is no growth of bacteria and viruses on them.
How to clean your shower mat in the bathtub
One of the quickest and easiest methods to thoroughly clean your shower mats is to use chlorine bleach and your bathtub! Here is how you can do it:
- In this method of cleaning your shower mats, you can use chlorine bleach to manually scrub and clean your shower mats to get rid of dust, dirt, mold, and mildew from them.
- Gently lift up your shower mat and place it in the bathtub.
- Fill up your tub with a gallon of cold water at first, before you add the diluted bleach solution it. You should not add bleach to hot water as it will intensify the fumes and cause irritation with your skin, nose, or eyes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of bleach to a gallon of normal water (for cleaning your shower mats) or add 1 cup of bleach to 5 gallons of water (for a more intensive scrubbing and cleaning).
- Soak the rubber shower mat into the diluted bleach solution for about 3 hours to remove all the mold and mildew from it.
- Wear protective gear; rubber gloves and a protective eye mask before you begin scrubbing the rubber mat. The bleach might splatter while you are, so you need to be extremely careful and protect yourself. Also, remember to keep your bathroom well ventilated so that the fumes do not irritate you.
- Take a scrubber and add a few drops of dishwashing soap to the scrubber and the mat. Start scrubbing the rubber shower mat, and then rinse it off thoroughly.
- Let the shower mat dry naturally in the sun. Do not ever place the shower mat in the dryer as this will shrink it.
How to clean your shower mat in the washing machine
If you want a more hustle-free way, you can always use your washing machine (unless instructed otherwise on the product label) to clean the shower mat. Here are the steps:
- Put the shower mat in the washing machine.
- Add two towels inside. The towel will rub the mat while being washed and will help remove all the dirt.
- You can also add a bit of baking soda to affect the more stubborn stains.
- Run the washing machine on a gentle cycle.
How to clean your shower mat using detergent
For just a regular cleaning of your shower mats, be it a plastic mat, a rubber mat or a cloth mat, you can use detergent for cleaning. Here is the method of doing it:
- If you want to clean your shower mat regularly, then you can wash it in your washing machine using just detergent, and you will have a perfectly clean and hygienic shower mat. Place your shower mat into the washing machine and put in your cleaner as well.
- Now, place a few other items along with the shower mat, such as a towel and some washcloths. The scrubbing movement inside the washing machine along with the washcloth or the towel effectively scrubs the shower mat without being too abrasive.
- Set your machine for a gentle, hot cycle and allow it to run one cycle entirely as the towel and washcloth do all the work for you.
- Once the wash cycle is over, remove the shower mat and allow it to dry naturally in the sun.
How to clean your shower mat with baking soda
Baking soda always works like a charm to remove any stubborn stains and smells from your shower mat. Here is how you can clean your shower mats with baking soda:
- Place your shower mat into your washing machine and add your laundry detergent into the washing machine.
- Add a towel or a few washcloths along with the shower mat into the washing machine.
- Add one cup of baking soda into the washing machine. Now, add a few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree essential oil. Tea tree essential oil will not only add a pleasant smell to your shower mat and remove other musty odors but also acts as an antibacterial and germicidal solution.
- Run your washing machine on a gentle wash cycle.
- Once the period is over, remove the shower mat and allow it to dry naturally in the sun.
Best cleaners for shower mats
Sometimes baking soda or vinegar won’t do the trick. If you need a professional cleaner for your shower mats, here are our recommendations:
Asutra Natural and Organic Mat Cleaner
If you want an all-natural cleaning solution for your shower mats, look no further – Asutra has the perfect product for you. This organic mat cleaner works wonders when dealing with dirt, mold, bacteria, and bad smell on our shower mats. It doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals, and it is safe for you and the environment. It comes with a slight lavender scent. No wonder it is our favorite!Check the price on Amazon
Your shower mat can slowly fester the growth of bacteria, germs, and even mold over time, which is why you need to have a good mat cleaner at hand. Asutra Natural and Organic Mat Cleaner is a wonderful organic formula that cleans your shower mats in the safest way possible.
With everyone becoming more aware of green cleaners, Asutra has brought this great natural mat cleaner on the market for you. The ingredients are entirely organic, complete with lavender essential oils as a bonus. Lavender essential oils are not only great for removing any dank odors from your shower mat, but the smell is also therapeutic.
It is vital to find a mat cleaner that does not leave behind any slippery residue, making it unsafe to walk on. Asutra Natural and Organic Mat Cleaner is a powerful organic cleaner that removes dirt, grime, and odors from your shower mat. The significant part is- it also leaves behind no slippery residue.
Why We Like It:
- Natural and safe mat cleaner- eco-friendly and nontoxic
- No synthetic fragrances- only natural essential oils
- Cleans dirt, germs, bacteria, and odors from your shower mats
- Easy to use spray bottle formula
What We Don’t Like:
- If there is too much grime, simply rinsing away the formula will still leave the shower mat feeling slippery
The fix: In case the shower mat still feels slippery even after rinsing- scrub it using a clean cloth and rinse it again thoroughly. After this, wipe down your entire shower mat with a clean, dry cloth or towel and allow it to dry completely.
Why You Should Get It:
The smell of lavender essential oil is extremely relaxing and therapeutic, but that’s not the best part about this cleaner. Asutra Natural and Organic Cleaner works excellent to thoroughly clean your shower mat and stop the growth of bacteria and mold. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Lysol All-Purpose Cleaner
If you want a cleaner that takes care of bacteria on your shower mat, then take a look at the Lysol All Purpose Cleaner. It is a product ideal for non-porous surfaces, but it will do a great job of removing germs from your mat. Just remember to rinse it thoroughly afterward. It is also great for eliminating body grease and soap scum. This multipurpose cleaner comes with a slight lemon scent.Check the price on Amazon
You already know how important it is to keep your shower mats clean and hygienic. Lysol All-Purpose Cleaner is an excellent product for you to use for just this purpose. The lemon breeze scent not only eliminates odors but also leaves behind a fresh fragrance for you to enjoy.
Lysol All-Purpose Cleaner is straightforward to use. Spray the formula directly on your shower mats, wait for a few seconds, and then wipe it off. Of course, if you have stubborn stains or grime on your shower mats, you should wait for a few minutes after spraying. Then, use a scrubbing brush or just an old toothbrush to really scrub those stains away. Once you are done, rinse and wipe off!
Lysol works really fast to kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria from your shower mats. For regular cleaning, you don’t even need to scrub! Spray, wait, and rinse it off!
The lemon breeze scent of Lysol not only removes any odors from your shower mats but also leaves behind a beautiful lemony smell- without any residue.
Why We Like It:
- Spray, wait and rinse off
- Fresh lemon breeze scent
- Kills germs and bacteria within seconds
- Contains no bleach
What We Don’t Like:
- The lemon scent might be too intense for some users with sensitivities or allergies
The fix: Thankfully, the smell disappears within a few minutes naturally. However, if the smell really bothers you, you can ventilate your bathroom or leave your shower mat outside to dry, so the smell disappears.
Why You Should Get It:
When it comes to choosing an excellent all-purpose cleaner for your shower mats, you cannot go wrong with Lysol. The lemon breeze scent adds freshness to your clean and sparkling shower mats. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Lysol Bleach Free Cleaner
If you are looking for a cleaning solution that doesn’t contain any bleach, Lysol also has a product for you. The Lysol Bleach Free Cleaner is a great alternative. IT doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals, which means you can use it without worrying about your hands. The cleaner can remove up to 99.9 percent of the bacteria and viruses from your mats. It also works well on removing limescale.Check the price on Amazon
Bleach is not a safe product to use regularly at home, which is why Lysol Bleach Free Cleaner is an excellent solution for cleaning your dirty shower mats. Lysol cleans using the active power of hydrogen peroxide, while not only instantly kills germs and bacteria but also removes stains and odors.
Lysol Bleach Free Cleaner is very easy to use regularly for your shower mats. Spray the formula directly on your mats and wait for a few minutes. The hydrogen peroxide works to dissolve any tough grime and stubborn stains, along with attacking odors on your mat. Use a scrubbing brush if necessary, and then rinse it off for clean shower mats!
Lysol also has a Fresh fragrance, which adds that extra bit of freshness to your shower mats. The formula is gentle enough to use regularly in your home without worrying about damage.
The cleaning formula has a foaming process, so spray and wait for the bubbles. Once the bubbles appear, you know the formula is working hard to kill germs and remove dirt!
Why We Like It:
- The fresh scent which makes your shower mats smell great
- No bleach formula
- Works within minutes
- Special ‘foaming formula’ with bubbles
What We Don’t Like:
- The sprayer sprays the product on small areas only and does not have a wide mouth for spraying large areas at a time.
The fix: If you need to spray a large area faster, you can change the sprayer on your Lysol. You can also choose to spray in sections so you can concentrate the product on smaller sections at a time for better cleaning.
Why You Should Get It:
When it comes to finding a great bleach-free formula, then Lysol is a winner. Use this product regularly on your shower mats to eliminate odors, stains, and even bacteria. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
How to clean your shower mat using white vinegar
Another excellent method of cleaning your shower mats is to use a vinegar solution. Here is how you should do it:
- Take a small, clean bowl and make your own cleaning solution. Add 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of hot water. Mix this solution well and add it into a spray bottle. Your cleaning solution is ready.
- Take your shower mat and spray the cleaning solution all over the shower mat generously. In case there are any areas on your shower mat which are particularly dirty or have stubborn stains, you can add more of the cleaning solution to these areas.
- Allow the cleaning solution to soak for a few minutes first.
- Now, take a stiff cleaning brush and start scrubbing the shower mat. If the cleaning solution is dry, you can add some more cleaning solution to the shower mat and create a soapy water solution in another small bowl as well. To create the soapy water solution, take a small bowl, and add a few squirts of hand washing liquid to the pot. Now, add warm water to it and mix it well to create a soapy, sudsy solution.
- Dip your scrubbing brush into this soapy water solution and scrub your shower mat well to remove all the stains.
- Rinse off your shower mat with water and allow it to dry outside in the sun naturally.
How to clean your shower mat with baking soda and vinegar
If all the other methods fail, the final plan is to use a combination of baking soda and vinegar to clean your shower mats. Here is how you can do it:
- You will need to use your washing machine once again for this method. Place your shower mat into your washing machine along with a towel or washcloth.
- Add your laundry detergent as per usual to the washing machine.
- Now, add 2 cups of baking soda into the washing machine. If you want, you can also add a few drops of essential oil to remove any musty or moldy smells from your shower mats.
- Once you have completed the wash cycle on your shower mats, add 2 cups of white vinegar to the washing machine.
- Now, run another rinse cycle as per usual.
- Once the period is over, remove the shower mat from the washing machine. Remember never to dry your shower mat in the washing machine dryer, as the shower mat will warp. Instead, allow your shower mat to dry naturally outside in the sun.
How often should you change your shower mat?
If you want to be really hygienic, then it is a good idea to change your shower mat once every two years. During this time, you need to regularly clean your shower mats at least once a week so that they don’t fester bacteria and germs. Your shower mats can become unhygienic very fast, mostly due to the constant presence of dampness, body oils, and soap scum.
However, a good cleaner can go a long way in keeping your shower mat clean and hygienic. After two years, you should change your shower mat, even if it looks like it is in good condition.