You might think that since you use your shower mats only after you step out of your clean shower, they do not really get that dirty. In fact, your shower mats can attract the most amount of dirt, dust, mold, and mildew due to its constant exposure to moisture. Whether you have rubber mats or shower mats made of cloth at home and you are wondering how to clean shower mats, here are some of the best methods you can use!
Table of Contents
- 1 How to clean your shower mat in the bathtub
- 2 How to clean your shower mat in the washing machine
- 3 How to clean your shower mat using detergent
- 4 How to clean your shower mat with baking soda
- 5 How to clean your shower mat using white vinegar
- 6 How to clean your shower mat with baking soda and vinegar
How to clean your shower mat in the bathtub
One of the quickest and easiest methods to thoroughly clean your shower mats is to use chlorine bleach and your bathtub! Here is how you can do it:
- In this method of cleaning your shower mats, you can use chlorine bleach to manually scrub and clean your shower mats to get rid of dust, dirt, mold, and mildew from them.
- Gently lift up your shower mat and place it in the bathtub.
- Fill up your tub with a gallon of cold water at first, before you add the diluted bleach solution it. You should not add bleach to hot water as it will intensify the fumes and cause irritation with your skin, nose, or eyes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of bleach to a gallon of normal water (for cleaning your shower mats) or add 1 cup of bleach to 5 gallons of water (for a more intensive scrubbing and cleaning).
- Soak the rubber shower mat into the diluted bleach solution for about 3 hours to remove all the mold and mildew from it.
- Wear protective gear; rubber gloves and a protective eye mask before you begin scrubbing the rubber mat. The bleach might splatter while you are, so you need to be extremely careful and protect yourself. Also, remember to keep your bathroom well ventilated so that the fumes do not irritate you.
- Take a scrubber and add a few drops of dishwashing soap to the scrubber and the mat. Start scrubbing the rubber shower mat, and then rinse it off thoroughly.
- Let the shower mat dry naturally in the sun. Do not ever place the shower mat in the dryer as this will shrink it.
How to clean your shower mat in the washing machine
If you want a more hustle-free way, you can always use your washing machine (unless instructed otherwise on the product label) to clean the shower mat. Here are the steps:
- Put the shower mat in the washing machine.
- Add two towels inside. The towel will rub the mat while being washed and will help remove all the dirt.
- You can also add a bit of baking soda to affect the more stubborn stains.
- Run the washing machine on a gentle cycle.
How to clean your shower mat using detergent
For just a regular cleaning of your shower mats, be it a plastic mat, a rubber mat or a cloth mat, you can use detergent for cleaning. Here is the method of doing it:
- If you want to clean your shower mat regularly, then you can wash it in your washing machine using just detergent, and you will have a perfectly clean and hygienic shower mat. Place your shower mat into the washing machine and put in your cleaner as well.
- Now, place a few other items along with the shower mat, such as a towel and some washcloths. The scrubbing movement inside the washing machine along with the washcloth or the towel effectively scrubs the shower mat without being too abrasive.
- Set your machine for a gentle, hot cycle and allow it to run one cycle entirely as the towel and washcloth do all the work for you.
- Once the wash cycle is over, remove the shower mat and allow it to dry naturally in the sun.
How to clean your shower mat with baking soda
Baking soda always works like a charm to remove any stubborn stains and smells from your shower mat. Here is how you can clean your shower mats with baking soda:
- Place your shower mat into your washing machine and add your laundry detergent into the washing machine.
- Add a towel or a few washcloths along with the shower mat into the washing machine.
- Add one cup of baking soda into the washing machine. Now, add a few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree essential oil. Tea tree essential oil will not only add a pleasant smell to your shower mat and remove other musty odors but also acts as an antibacterial and germicidal solution.
- Run your washing machine on a gentle wash cycle.
- Once the period is over, remove the shower mat and allow it to dry naturally in the sun.
How to clean your shower mat using white vinegar
Another excellent method of cleaning your shower mats is to use a vinegar solution. Here is how you should do it:
- Take a small, clean bowl and make your own cleaning solution. Add 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of hot water. Mix this solution well and add it into a spray bottle. Your cleaning solution is ready.
- Take your shower mat and spray the cleaning solution all over the shower mat generously. In case there are any areas on your shower mat which are particularly dirty or have stubborn stains, you can add more of the cleaning solution to these areas.
- Allow the cleaning solution to soak for a few minutes first.
- Now, take a stiff cleaning brush and start scrubbing the shower mat. If the cleaning solution is dry, you can add some more cleaning solution to the shower mat and create a soapy water solution in another small bowl as well. To create the soapy water solution, take a small bowl, and add a few squirts of hand washing liquid to the pot. Now, add warm water to it and mix it well to create a soapy, sudsy solution.
- Dip your scrubbing brush into this soapy water solution and scrub your shower mat well to remove all the stains.
- Rinse off your shower mat with water and allow it to dry outside in the sun naturally.
How to clean your shower mat with baking soda and vinegar
If all the other methods fail, the final plan is to use a combination of baking soda and vinegar to clean your shower mats. Here is how you can do it:
- You will need to use your washing machine once again for this method. Place your shower mat into your washing machine along with a towel or washcloth.
- Add your laundry detergent as per usual to the washing machine.
- Now, add 2 cups of baking soda into the washing machine. If you want, you can also add a few drops of essential oil to remove any musty or moldy smells from your shower mats.
- Once you have completed the wash cycle on your shower mats, add 2 cups of white vinegar to the washing machine.
- Now, run another rinse cycle as per usual.
- Once the period is over, remove the shower mat from the washing machine. Remember never to dry your shower mat in the washing machine dryer, as the shower mat will warp. Instead, allow your shower mat to dry naturally outside in the sun.