If you have a spa, then you know that the filter of that spa is responsible for trapping and cleaning out the dirt and debris from your spa water to keep it clean for you. However, it is essential that you know how to clean out your spa filters regularly so that they don’t clog up and function correctly to clean the water. If you want to know how to clean the filters in your spa, then here are some of the best tips and tricks that you can use.
Table of Contents
How to clean your spa filters using vinegar
In this method, you can learn how to clean your spa filters by using vinegar. Here is how you can do it:
- The first thing you need to do is to turn off your spa pump as well as turn off the power to the spa from your circuit breaker.
- Now, remove the lid from your spa filter and gently slide out the spa filter from its place.
- Take a large bucket and fill it up with water thoroughly. Place your spa filter into this bucket of water until the spa filter is completely submerged in the water.
- Pour 3 cups of white distilled vinegar into the bucket of water with the spa filter.
- Now, allow it to sit undisturbed for about an hour. During this time, the vinegar works on the dirt and debris encrusted on your spa filter and loosens the particles.
- After an hour, remove the spa filter from the bucket of water and rinse it out with fresh water.
- You can place your spa filter back into its place in your spa.
How to clean your spa filters using bleach
You can use bleach to clean your spa filters every once in a while, but make sure that you don’t expose your spa filter to the bleach for too long as it might damage it. Here is how you can clean your spa filters using bleach:
- Carefully remove your spa filter from your spa or hot tub.
- Take a big bucket and fill it up with 5 gallons of boiling water.
- Now, add just 1/4th cup of bleach to this and stir it to mix it well. You should be wearing protective gloves and an eye mask for this step so that the bleach does not irritate your skin or eyes.
- Place your spa filter into this bleach water and allow it to soak for just 2 hours and not more.
- Gently remove your spa filter from the bucket of water and use your garden hose to rinse off the spa filter thoroughly.
- Allow the spa filter to dry naturally for 24 hours.
- Now, take an old cloth or a towel and wipe the spa filter to remove any residue of bleach from it.
- Finally, place your spa filter back into your spa once it is clean.
How to clean your spa filter in the dishwasher
You can use this secure method to clean your spa filter in your dishwasher. Here is how you can do it:
- Gently remove your spa filter from your spa and place it in the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Make sure that you do not add any other items into your dishwasher when you are cleaning your spa filter in it.
- Add dish detergent into the slot of your dishwasher as you normally would.
- Now, run your dishwasher on its most extended cycle with the spa filter in its top rack. If you want, you can also add one cup of vinegar into your dishwasher for this method.
- Remove your spa filter from your dishwasher and take it outdoors to rinse it out. Use your garden hose to rinse off your spa filter thoroughly.
- Allow your spa filter to dry naturally for at least 24 hours.
- Now, you can place it back into your spa.
How to clean your spa filter using detergent and trisodium phosphate
Another excellent method of cleaning your spa filters is to use detergent and trisodium phosphate to clean it. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your spa filter from the spa gently after you have turned off your spa pump and the power to your spa circuit breaker.
- Take a more giant bucket and fill it up with 5 gallons of hot water.
- Pour some dish detergent along with trisodium phosphate into the boiling water and stir it well to mix it thoroughly.
- Now, place your spa filter into the bucket of water with the solution and let it soak for 24 hours completely undisturbed.
- Gently remove your spa filter from the bucket and rinse it off thoroughly using your garden hose.
- Allow it to dry naturally for 24 hours.
- Place it back into your hot tub.
How to clean your spa filter using sea salt
You can use this secure method to clean your spa filters using organic sea salt. Here is how you can do it:
- Gently remove your spa filters from the spa.
- Take a large bucket of water or do this cleaning process in your bathtub. Fill up the tub or your bucket of water with warm water.
- Place your spa filter into the water till it is completely submerged with the water.
- Add 1 cup of sea salt per 1 gallon of water into your bucket or bathtub. (if you have added 5 gallons of water into your tub or bucket, add 5 cups of sea salt as well into the water).
- Mix it up and allow your spa filter to soak overnight in this solution. The sea salt helps to loosen up the dirt and debris from your spa filter so that you can rinse it off quickly.
- Take an old toothbrush and scrub away any remaining stubborn dirt, grime or debris from your spa filter.
- Using your garden hose, rinse out the spa filter entirely till it is clean.
- Let the spa filter completely dry overnight before you place it back into your spa.