If you love gold but are not too fond of the yellow-gold color of traditional gold rings, then white gold is the perfect option for you. However, there are a few things you need to take care of to ensure that your white gold ring does not get discolored or stained. If you are looking for ways on how to clean white gold ring, then here is everything you need to know about it.
Table of Contents
How to clean your white gold ring using soap and water
Sometimes all you need is a gentle soap and water solution to clean your white gold ring and make it look like new again. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and fill it up with lukewarm water.
- Add a mild hand washing liquid into this and mix it well to create a soapy solution.
- Place your white gold ring into this bowl and allow it to soak for about 20 to 30 minutes only.
- Take a soft cloth or an old, soft brush and scrub the ring gently to clean it.
- With a soft towel, wipe the ring to dry it and allow it to air dry naturally wholly.
How to clean your white gold ring using ammonia
If your ring is especially dirty and has some stains or marks, you can use ammonia to clean it. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and fill it with water, and a few drops of a mild hand washing liquid. Do not add any harsh chemical cleaner or abrasives into the cleaning solution as it can damage the white gold plating of your ring.
- Add just a few drops of ammonia into this solution and mix it well.
- Now, place your white gold ring into this cleaning solution and allow it to soak undisturbed for about 10 minutes. In case your ring is old or very delicate, you can soak it just for 5 minutes.
- Gently remove the ring from the solution and scrub it using only a soft, clean cloth.
- Now, rinse out the ring under running water so that the solution washes away thoroughly.
- Dry your ring gently by blotting it with a soft towel, and then allow it to dry naturally.
How to clean your white gold ring using baking soda
While it is true that you should not use abrasives to clean your white gold rings, in case your ring has discolored or started staining, you can use baking soda to clean it. However, do not use this cleaning solution as a regular cleaner, as it can damage your ring. Here is how you can do it:
- In a small bowl, add some water and just half a tablespoon of baking soda. Mix this well till it forms a paste-like consistency. You need to use very little of this cleaning solution for your white gold ring. Keep this solution away to use it later.
- Take another small bowl and add some water and a mild hand washing soap to create a soapy solution.
- Dip your white gold ring into this cleaning solution for just about 20 minutes.
- Take a soft toothbrush and pick up some of the baking soda paste with it. Scrub your white gold ring gently with this solution. You should not scrub the ring for more than 3 minutes, as baking soda is abrasive and you may damage the plating of the ring.
- Finally, wash your ring under running water till the water runs clear. Make sure that you clean in between all the holes and crevices of the ring to remove all of the soap and cleaning solutions.
- Dry your ring using a soft, clean towel.
- Take a microfiber cloth and gently buff the ring till it shines!
How to clean your white gold ring using vinegar and baking soda
Vinegar and baking soda is an age-old cleaning solution for a lot of items. When it comes to your white gold rings, you should use this cleaning solution only if your ring is looking excessively dirty or stained. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and add 10 gms of baking soda into it. Now, pour just ½ a cup of white distilled vinegar into the bowl. It will create a fizzy solution when you mix it. You can use this as your cleaning solution.
- In another bowl, add water and a few drops of a mild hand washing soap and create another solution. Mix it well.
- Dip your white gold ring into this second cleaning solution first, and allow it to soak for about 20 minutes.
- Once this is done, take a soft cloth or an old toothbrush and dip it into the first vinegar and baking soda solution.
- Using this as a scrub, gently scrub your white gold ring for just a few minutes till all the stains and discoloration is gone.
- Rinse out your ring under running water till the water runs completely clear.
- Blot your white gold ring using a clean, dry towel, and finally, take a soft microfiber cloth and buff your ring so that it looks polished and new once again!
How to clean your white gold ring using isopropyl alcohol
You can also use this cleaning method for your white gold ring, using some isopropyl alcohol. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a soft, white cloth, or a Q-tip, and dip it in some isopropyl alcohol. Make sure that the cloth or the Q-tip is not dripping with the solution, but it is just damp.
- Take your white gold ring in one hand, and gently clean it using the cloth or the Q-tip dipped in the isopropyl alcohol.
- Rinse out the ring in average temperature running water.
- Using a soft, clean towel, gently blot it dry.
You can use a microfiber cloth to polish and buff the ring. You will find that the white gold ring is shining like new once again.