Everybody loves to try out a new shade of nail polish and jazz up their everyday, boring nails. However, accidents may happen where you spill some nail polish on your clothes or get it on someone else’s clothes. This article will tell you all the easy ways on how to get dried nail polish out of clothes. From homemade solutions to special products, such as the Motsenbocker’s Lift Off, you can get from Amazon now!
Table of Contents
- 1 How to remove dried nail polish from clothes using acetone
- 2 How to remove dried nail polish from clothes using hairspray
- 3 How to remove dried nail polish from clothes using bug spray
- 4 Remove nail polish using rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
- 5 Commercial products to remove dried nail polish from clothes
- 6 Motsenbocker’s Lift Off
- 7 Grandma’s Secret Spot Remover
- 8 Goof Off Pro Strength Remover
How to remove dried nail polish from clothes using acetone
Acetone is a great solution to remove nail polish not only from your fingernails but also from your clothes. However, it is important to check the fabric first; if the fabric contains acetate or triacetate, this method would damage the clothes.
- Place a few paper towels on the table first, and then place the nail polish stained fabric on top of the towels.
- Dip a cotton ball or a paper towel in acetone, and blot the fabric gently. This will transfer the dried nail polish on to the paper towel on the table. Remember to blot, and not rub.
- Rinse out the area under some running water, and place the fabric on some paper towels once again and repeat the process.
- Once you blot the stained area with acetone and there is no more nail polish after blotting, the stain has been completely removed.
- You can now wash your clothes as usual to remove the acetone and any last traces of dried nail polish from your clothes!
How to remove dried nail polish from clothes using hairspray
Quite surprisingly, hairspray can help you remove dried nail polish stains from your clothes.
- Spray a small amount of hairspray on the nail polish stained area of your clothes.
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, gently rub on the stained area in small, circular motions.
- It is important to be careful and not rub on the fabric too hard, as it might damage the fibers.
How to remove dried nail polish from clothes using bug spray
Bug spray can often come to your aid when you are trying to remove dried nail polish from clothes. However, this refers to the bug spray which you spray on your body as a repellent to keep away bugs, and not the bug spray that you spray in the air or directly on bugs.
- Take an old, soft-bristled toothbrush and spray some bug spray on the bristles of the brush.
- In a light, circular motion, rub the nail polish stained area on your clothes with the toothbrush.
- The bug spray should help in removing the dried nail polish stain from your clothes effectively.
- Rinse the area out well, and repeat again if necessary
Remove nail polish using rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
- In the same way that acetone was used to remove dried nail polish stains, both rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can also work wonders in removing dried nail polish stains from your clothes. However, it is always a good idea to do a little patch test on the fabric before using it on the entire stained area. Just to make sure that it won’t cause any damage to the fabric.
- Spill a small amount of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol on the stained area of your clothes.
- Using a paper towel, soak up the stain. Repeat this process as many times as necessary, rinsing out the fabric at regular intervals.
Commercial products to remove dried nail polish from clothes
While these home remedies work like a charm most of the time, sometimes you need to be slightly more careful with certain fabrics. In these cases, here is our pick of the top 3 commercial cleaners which can help you remove dried nail polish stains from your clothes.
Motsenbocker’s Lift Off
Motsenbocker’s Lift Off is a versatile stain remover which effectively removes dried nail polish stains from your clothes without causing any damage to it!
- Weight: 1.62 pounds
- Product dimensions: 2 x 4 x 6 inches
- Chemical compound: water-based
- 22 FL OZ
- Easy to use spray bottle formula
- Nontoxic solution
- No scrubbing required, simply blot!
- The smell of the product can be quite strong, however, it is advisable to wear a protective mask and gloves when working with this stain remover so that you are unaffected by the smell. You can also keep your windows open when using this product to avoid the smell becoming stuffy.
An easy to use nail polish removing formula for clothes. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Grandma’s Secret Spot Remover
We all know about the secret’s our grandma’s have up their sleeves to remove even the toughest of stains. Well, Grandma’s Secret formula gives you just that! An all in one stain remover which gets rid of dried nail polish stains fast.
- Size: 2 oz.
- Weight: 5.3 ounces
- Product dimensions: 5.4 x 4.7 x 1.6 inches
- Easy to carry a small bottle
- Works very fast
- Does not harm the fabric
- A very small quantity of product to be used on any stain
- For some older, more stubborn stains, the product does not remove 100% of the stain in one go. However, if you keep the product on for longer on the nail polish stain, and use it more than once in the same spot, you can remove 100% of the stain effectively!
Now that you know Grandma’s Secret formula to removing dried nail polish stains from your clothes. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Goof Off Pro Strength Remover
A professional strength, versatile stain remover, Goof Off works on absolutely any kind of stain with professional strength and efficiency!
- Size: 16 oz. bottle
- Product dimensions: 3 x 3 x 8 in
- Weight: 1 pound
- Starts working within seconds of spraying
- Easy to use pourable solution
- Works on all surfaces efficiently
- The product can have a slightly strong odor; however, if used with proper protective gear and ventilation, the smell should disappear!
For those looking for a stain remover of professional strength, this product is the best one on the market. Use a small amount to blot out the dried nail polish stains and your clothes will be unmarked within seconds! Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Also read: What gets grease stains out of clothes.