Having a dog means having to deal with a lot of different kinds of stains! Pee stains, drool stains, vomit stains and of course, poop stains! If you are wondering how to get old dog poop stains out of carpet, look no further! We will tell you some great ways you can make your carpet look as good as new once again! You will also read reviews of special poop stain removers, such as the Simple Solution Oxy Charged Stain & Odor Remover, you can get from Amazon now!
Why is it important to remove old dog poop stains?
Ignoring the obvious fact that dog poop stains can ruin the entire look of your beautiful carpet, they also stink! Other than that, dog poop contains a lot of bacteria and parasites, which can be harmful for the family. It is recommended to remove any poop stain right away and not let it sit there and get dry. But in case you come across an old dog poop stain than follow the tips bellow and you’ll be able to get it out.
How to remove old dog poop stains from carpet using vinegar?
Vinegar is a great solution for removing an old dog poop stain, but also getting rid of any remaining smell that might have lingered on your carpet. Here is how you can remove your old dog poop stain from your carpet using the help of vinegar:
- In 2 cups of warm water, mix one tablespoon of any dishwashing liquid, and one tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Now, using a clean sponge, apply the solution on to the old poop stain on your carpet.
- Keep blotting the stain until the liquid is absorbed completely.
- Keep repeating it till the stain gradually disappears. After this, you can clean the carpet with clean water and dry it off.
How to remove old dog poop stains using hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleach which can be easily bought from any store. However, keep in mind that it is still bleach, and must be used with a lot of caution.
- Use an eye dropper and apply a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to the old dog poop stain on your carpet. Remember to use protective gloves when doing this.
- On the same spot, apply a few drops of ammonia as well.
- Once this is done, use a clean sponge and some cold water to blot the area.
- The stain, along with any smell, should disappear without a trace!
How to remove old dog poop stains using a brush?
Sometimes, the old dog poop stains are quite stubborn and may have caused the area on your carpet to dry up and harden.
- Take a bucket of cold water and add some dishwashing liquid to it. You can also add just a splash of white vinegar, which will help with the smell.
- Using a soft cloth or a sponge, blot this liquid on to the stained area on your carpet.
- Now, using a soft bristled brush, gently run your brush on the stained area to loosen up the hardened carpet fibers. Be gentle with the brush, as you do not want to damage the carpet fibers.
- Continue doing this till the stain is removed, after which you can sprinkle some baking soda on the stained area of the carpet. Rub in the baking soda into your carpet using your fingers or gloves. Allow it to sit overnight and then remove the dried out soda with a vacuum cleaner. If you have a steam cleaner or a carpet cleaner go over the stain a couple of times.
How to remove old dog poop stains using a dull knife?
- Using a sponge, blot the stained area on your carpet with a mixture of water and dishwashing liquid.
- Now, using the edge of a dull knife, scrape off any solids that you can see, or simply use the knife to loosen up any tightened fibers on your carpet.
- Take 4 parts of water and add just 1 part of carpet shampoo to this, and apply it on to the stained area on your carpet.
- Let this dry, and then run a vacuum over the area.
Commercial cleaners for removing old dog poop stains from carpet
For most old dog poop stains, the above mentioned tricks might do wonders. However, some stains are more difficult to remove than others. In that case, here is our pick of the 3 best commercial cleaners for removing old dog poop stains from your carpet.
Simple Solution Oxy Charged Stain & Odor Remover
The product really does live up to its name! Simple Solution provides you with just that; a simple solution to remove all pet stains and odors from your carpet.
- 3 spray nozzle options to deal giving you versatile cleaning applications
- 32 oz spray bottle
- Mild orange scented formula
- Tough on all kinds of stains and odors
- Can be used on any surface, including carpets, floors, and even on clothes
- Fast drying solution with no additional stains or residue
- No scrubbing formula; simply spray and blot
- The product does not prevent your pet from remarking the area
However, using the product a few times on the same area might cause your pet to stop remarking the area due to the innate smell of the formula.
A simple, no scrub solution which removes all pet stains within seconds. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Stain Fu Carpet Stain & Odor Remover
A fast working solution to remove all kinds of pet stains and odors with ease, Stain FU is an ideal product for homes with dogs that have “accidents” around the house.
- Biodegradable formula
- 24 oz bottle
- Easy to use spray bottle
- Works on absolutely any kind of pet stains
- Works within few seconds of spraying the product
- Works not only on old poop stains but also pee, vomit and other pet and even human stains
- Removes odor and replaces it with a mild, pleasant odor
- Prevents remarking in the same area
- Might cause damage to the carpet if the area is rubbed or scrubbed very hard
Instead, it is best to simply blot the stain to avoid any damage to your carpet.
One of the most versatile pet stain removers. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Bodhi Dog Pet Stain & Odor Remover
This bio enzymatic pet stain cleaner removes old and new pet stains alike, along with any lingering odors.
- Completely cruelty free product made with sustainable ingredients
- Removes chemical and organic wastes with fast working formula
- 32 oz spray bottle
- Safe to use in a home with children, as the product is made of chemical free ingredients
- No chemical odor or residue
- A pleasant, natural smell
- Can take longer to work on stubborn stains
However, since the product is completely chemical free and plant based, older, stubborn stains might take a few more cleaning sessions to completely remove all stains.
A cruelty free, organic product which works miracles. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
We created House Cleaning Advice in order to help you all in your home cleaning chores. Here you can find tons of tips that can help you clean faster and easier.