Wood furnishings can give out a vibe of class, elegance, and beauty; however, wood can be challenging to maintain, especially if it starts getting moldy. If you are looking into how to get rid of black mold on wood, you must first know how to prevent this from occurring. With a few easy tips, you can keep the wood of your home looking fresh and beautiful always.
For those in a hurry and just want a quick mold remover, check out Mold Armor FG502 Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover from Amazon. You can read more about this black mold remover further down in this article!
Table of Contents
- 1 What causes black mold growth on wood?
- 2 How does black mold look like?
- 3 Is black mold toxic to humans
- 4 Top 5 products to remove black mold from wood
- 5 How to test for black mold
- 6 Tools you will need to remove black mold from wood
- 7 How to actually do it?
- 8 How to remove black mold from any wood surface with vinegar
- 9 How to remove black mold with baking soda
- 10 How to kill black mold with hydrogen peroxide
- 11 How to kill black mold on wood with bleach
- 12 How to remove black mold from wood with ammonia
- 13 How to remove black mold from wood with borax
- 14 How to remove black mold with tea tree oil
- 15 How to remove black mold with grapefruit seed extract
- 16 How to remove black mold with vodka
- 17 How do you stop mold from growing on wood
What causes black mold growth on wood?
For mold to thrive, it requires a damp area and a surface to thrive on. Wood provides the ideal abode for mold to thrive in. Mold spores occur naturally in the air and can easily take root in wooden surfaces, especially damp wood, such as decks, fence or drywall.
The porous structure of the wood makes it an ideal environment for mold to settle in and start growing. Remember, mold thrives in dark and damp places.
Mold can start forming and cultivating in wood in almost any individuals homes. However, there are a few factors which can put your home at a higher risk of growing mold spores. Here are a few things that you must be careful of if you want to save your wood from growing mold:
- Avoid keeping wood in a humid environment which will cause the wood to become damp
- Invest in a sound drainage system
- Have proper ventilation at your home
- Fix any kind of leaks on your roof
- Take care of condensation forming on the walls of your home
- Fix any leaks in pipes in your home
How does black mold look like?
Identifying mold growing on your wood can be quite a challenge. Wood naturally comes with variations in colors and patterns, and the slow-growing black fungus on the wood is often mistaken simply for a “pattern” on the wood. Once the mold has significantly grown, it becomes visible on top of the wooden surface. However, keep an eye open for these signs which might help you detect mold growing on your wood surfaces:
- Any kind of green or black streaking on the surface of the wood
- Black, patchy discoloration on the wood
- White colored stain on the wood
There is quite a simple trick that you can do at home to detect if there is mold growing on any wood surface. Start off by taking a picture of that area on the wooden surface where you suspect that mold spores might be growing. Now, take another picture of the same area on the wood after a week, and continue doing this for a few weeks.
Compare the images to see if you can notice any difference in the discoloration; whether the stain is growing gradually or not. If this discoloration is growing outward or becoming darker, it is most probable that mold is growing on the wood. You can find a good mold testing kit on Amazon, which will allow you to detect the places and the concentration of the mold growing on your wood.
If you find black mold in your house, it can be quite a legitimate reason for panic. This is because black mold is hazardous and toxic not just for your wood but also for the health of you and those in your family. However, keep in mind that there are different types of mold which can appear black, and not all of these molds are as dangerous as each other. It is best to take proper measures to avoid any kind of mold growing at your home.
In case you do detect black mold growing on your wood at home, it is vital that you get rid of this mold at the earliest, irrespective of the fact that the black mold is highly toxic or not. While you can always get the moldy stain tested professionally to check whether it is poisonous or not, it is best to still work on removing this mold as any kind of mold spores in the house is not good for the home or for your health.
Is black mold toxic to humans
According to the CDS, the term “toxic mold” is not entirely accurate. While some types of mold can produce toxins (mycotoxins), the fungus itself is not toxic. People often think black mold is the “most dangerous” one, but you can’t really know. The color of the mold stain does not correspond with the ability of the mold growth to produce toxins.
Anyway, since to inspect the toxicity of the mold can be expensive, it is much better to get rid of it in the first place. Some of the adverse effects on your health, caused by mold, can be:
- Allergic reactions
- Asthma attacks and difficulty when breathing
- Sinus problems
- Eye redness
- Excessive thirst
Top 5 products to remove black mold from wood
Home Armor is a great product which comes in a compact 32 oz. Spray bottle. This spray helps you to remove all kinds of mold and mildew stains from your wooden deck, drywall, hardwood floors or wooden furniture. Here are some of the top features of this product:
- It is a reliable product which cleans all types of mold and mildew stains as well as removes odors
- It adds an additional shine to your wood
- No scrubbing required for cleaning
- The formula has a bleach base which cleans all stains effectively
- Can be used on wood, vinyl, marble, fiberglass, cloth, shower doors, etc.
Here you can check the current price on Amazon.
An instant mold and mildew stain removal formula which removes all of the nasty mold stains from wood surfaces within 15 seconds only! Here are the features of this fantastic product:
- Works on all kinds of wooden materials in your home to effectively remove the stains from mold and mildew
- There is no need for scrubbing, brushing, or even sanding when using this spray formula.
- Simply spray the formula on to the affected moldy area, and the spray will start working instantly to remove the stains within 15 seconds or less!
- Can be used on an area of 200 to 400 square feet
Here you can check the current price on Amazon.
This big sized 64oz cleaning concentrate can effectively clean and remove mold and mildew stains from an area of up to 1000 square feet. This product is the ideal outdoor cleaning concentrate that you can use on your wooden deck, patio, stone, brick, etc.
- Simply pour as much of the concentrated product that you require on to your primary garden spray pump and spray the product when and where required
- The product works perfectly on all of your outdoor products to remove mold stains
- It is entirely eco-friendly and safe to use; it does not cause any corrosion or staining to your products
Here you can check the current price on Amazon for this excellent mold stain remover.
This 64-ounce spray is easy to use as it comes with a spray pump attached to the bottle. The product is concentrated, comes in an easy to use packaging, and can effectively remove all kinds of mold and mildew stains from your wooden deck and other wood surfaces.
- The product is very useful, easy to use and can be used as a great cleaning product
- The big sized (64 oz.) bottle is enough to effectively clean up to 1500 square feet area of your home
- The hose end product allows you to target all of those hard to reach areas of your home which need stain removal and cleaning
Here you can check the current price on Amazon for this great product for mold stain removal.
This great product not only eliminates and removes the mold from your wood, but it also prevents black mold from forming there in the future. Here are the features of this fantastic mold control spray that you must buy for your home:
- The product does not contain any VOCs or ammonia and is entirely safe for use
- Spray the product directly on the moldy area, and the mold will be killed and destroyed as the product dries. It effectively removes the fungus from the wood.
- The Concrobium Mold and Mildew Control prevents any new formation of black mold from growing on wood surfaces as well as reduces and eliminates any nasty odors coming due to the mold spores.
Here you can check the current price on Amazon.
How to test for black mold
As you already know how black mold looks like (described at the beginning of this article), you can easily visualize it. To confirm that you are dealing with black mold, you can either get professionals to take samples (this may cost a bit more as they need to come to your house) and lab test it; or you can get a mold testing kit, take the samples yourself and send it to the lab.
Tools you will need to remove black mold from wood
- A protective face mask (here is a link to the one I bought from Amazon, it comes with goggles) which will protect your mouth and your nose from inhaling or ingested the mold spores as you clean them
- You will need to put on some rubber gloves to protect your hands from the harsh chemicals that you will be using
- Safety goggles which will protect your eyes from mold spores getting into them as well as against the harsh chemicals
- A HEPA filter vacuum which will effectively remove the mold spores from your home
- A soft scrubbing brush
- Some sandpaper for removing any kind of leftover stain from the wood once you have eliminated the mold
- Unique cleaning product for black mold removal
How to actually do it?
- Removing the mold from your wood is quite a simple process. However, it should be done very carefully to ensure that you do not cause any harm to yourself with the mold spores or the cleaning products. Wear your safety goggles, rubber gloves, and mask on your face for your protection. It is essential to ensure that you do not accidentally ingest or inhale any of the mold spores as they are very harmful to your health.
- Properly clean and vacuum the areas in your home where mold is growing. The best kind of vacuum to use would be a HEPA air filter vacuum with an attached long arm which will reach all of those hard to reach places in your home and clean up the mold spores along with any dust and grime.
- Choose any of the excellent mod cleaning products mentioned above and apply it to the affected area as per the instructions on the product package.
- Rinse out the wood properly to remove the entire residual product from the surface. Allow the wood to dry completely. However, in case you see any spots or discoloration which cannot be removed, you can use sandpaper to even out the stain.
In case you don’t want to buy any of the recommended products from above, don’t worry, here are a few more things you can try to remove black mold and mold spores from your wooden surfaces:
How to remove black mold from any wood surface with vinegar
Vinegar is a natural mild acid that is capable of killing 80% of the mold species. To kill black mold (or any other kind of mold and fungus) with vinegar, you need to put it in a spray bottle and spray it onto the affected area. Let it sit for 45 minutes and then wipe the area with a wet towel. Let it dry. Vinegar will help you remove the majority of the mold spores from the wooden surface. If you are doing this inside your home, make sure you open the windows and ensure proper ventilation.
How to remove black mold with baking soda
Baking soda is a mineral powder that can also help you remove black mold. It is safe for you and the environment. Take a spray bottle, fill it with water, and add a tablespoon of baking soda. Shake the bottle until all the soda is dissolved. Spray the moldy piece of wood with the solution. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and start scrubbing with a brush. Don’t use a tough brush to avoid damaging the wooden surface. Finally, rinse it with water or wet cloth and let it dry.
How to kill black mold with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide is a non-toxic antifungal and antibacterial solution that eliminates and prevents black mold; especially black mold growth on wood. To kill mold with hydrogen peroxide, you will need to prepare a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide concentration and clean water in a spray bottle. Shake it thoroughly and then spray the moldy area with the solution. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then scrub the surface with a brush. Once you removed all the mold stains, wipe down the wood with a wet towel.
How to kill black mold on wood with bleach
Bleach is a potent formula that can kill pretty much all the existing mold species, along with its spores. Additionally, it sanitizes the surface preventing future mold growth. But there is a little twist here. Bleach is not capable of penetrating into porous materials such as wood, so it can only kill the mold that is on top of the surface. Anything below it, won’t be affected. This allows the roots of the black mold to stay alive and grow again soon. If you still want to use bleach this is what you need to do: Make a solution of one cup bleach and one-gallon water. Apply the solution to the moldy area with a spray bottle. Let it dry. You don’t have to rinse or wipe the wood (unless it touches food like a table, for example).
How to remove black mold from wood with ammonia
Ammonia is in the same bucket as bleach, when it comes to killing mold – it is non-porous. It will do wonders on tiles, glass, but can’t go deep into the wood. It is only able to kill the mold that is on top of the surface of the wood, but not the roots. Another disadvantage is the sour smell that ammonia releases. If you decide to give it a try to create a solution of 50% ammonia with 50% water. Put it in a spray bottle and shake it. Once it is mixed well, spray on the moldy surface of the wood and let it sit for a few hours before rinsing it. One thing to remember: NEVER MIX IT WITH BLEACH. When mixed together, ammonia and bleach create a toxic gas.
How to remove black mold from wood with borax
Borax is a natural cleaning product that has many advantages when used to kill black mold. This is a product that does not create fumes or emits chemicals that are dangerous for your health. Although it can be hazardous if you swallow it. It has a higher level of pH (around 9pH), which makes it very efficient mold remover. To kill mold with borax, you need to create a solution of 1 cup borax with a gallon of water. Spray the solution on the wooden surface and start scrubbing with a brush. When all visible mold stains are removed, wipe the wood with a clean cloth. Don’t rinse the surface since the leftover solution will prevent mold from coming back. Just let it dry naturally.
How to remove black mold with tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is probably the most effective mold killer out of all natural solutions you can find. It is a bit expensive (being safe, natural and very useful), but you need just a small quantity to finish the job. Being an antifungal solution, it has the power to kill any type of mold. To kill black mold with Tea tree oil, you need to mix it with water in a ratio of 1 tablespoon oil per one cup of water. You will need to calculate how much you need to fill up a spray bottle. Once the solution is created, spray it on the moldy surface of the wood. Let it dry. No need to rinse it, as left there will prevent future mold growth. One downside is the strong smell that is released from the oil, but it will go away after a few hours.
How to remove black mold with grapefruit seed extract
The grapefruit seed extract is a natural oil that has antimicrobial and antioxidant powers. It can kill all kinds of bacteria, viruses, and of course, in this case, black mold. Works similarly as the Tea tree oil, but it doesn’t smell. The main compounds in grapefruit seed that can kill the mold are limonoids and naringenin. To kill mold with the grapefruit seed extract, you need to make a solution of 10 drops of this oil per cup of water. Calculate how much you need to fill up a spray bottle. The solution doesn’t go rancid quickly so you can use it for an extended period. Shake the bottle well and spray it over the moldy area on the wood. Let it dry on its own. Don’t rinse it as it is natural and safe. Plus the longer it is on the surface, the longer it will prevent future mold growth.
How to remove black mold with vodka
Vodka doesn’t just make parties more fun, it can also help you fight black mold stains on wood surfaces. All you need to do is drink a shot of vodka and blow softly onto the moldy area. Just kidding… This is the right way: Fill a spray bottle with vodka and spray it onto the mold stains. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then scrub off with a soft-bristled brush.
How do you stop mold from growing on wood
This mostly depends on where is this wood placed. Outside or inside? If it is out, consider painting the wood. This will prevent moisture from getting in touch with the surface of the wood and supporting black mold growth. Also, make sure the wood is protected from the rain. If the wood surface you try to protect is inside your home then:
- Keep the humidity levels in your home below 50%
- Use a dehumidifier
- Ventilate more often, especially kitchens and bathrooms
- Add mold inhibitors in the paint before painting the wood (this also applies for the wooden objects that are outside)
Below is an infographic that sums up 7 of the most used solutions to kill mold.
You can also find out how to use bleach to kill mold in this article.