Laminate countertops are one of the most durable and versatile types of countertops you can go for. The only downside is that they do not always shine as bright as granite. This does not mean that you need to settle for hazy looking countertops! Here are some of the best tips and tricks on how to make laminate countertops shine like granite.
Should you make laminate countertops shine like granite?
Laminate countertops have a lot of advantages, however, the only disadvantage to them would be the fact that they can start to look hazy and lose their shine. Nobody likes to have a kitchen that looks old. Compared to laminate countertops, granite seems to shine and look brighter in your kitchen no matter how old it is. A few simple home remedies along with regular cleaning and maintenance can make your laminate countertops shine just like granite. Before we can start to talk about any tips you need to understand that countertops can look hazy because of two main reasons. One being dirty because of negligence. The other reason is time. With time laminate countertops lose their natural shine, and in that case, you will need to use a polishing or waxing product.
How to make your laminate countertops shine using a microfiber cloth
A simple, effective method is using an antibacterial cleaner along with a microfiber cloth. This can work wonders to make your laminate countertops shine like granite. Also, you need to remember that regular cleaning of your laminate countertops with this simple solution can ensure that they always look like new with a shiny finish. Due to constant usage, a lot of dirt sticks to the surface and makes it look hazy. Sometimes this can be caused by bacterial colonization. Here is how you can do it:
- Pick any soft and gentle antibacterial cleaning solution. Avoid the ones which have harsh chemicals or are abrasive. If they contain abrasive in the formula you can cause damage to your countertops.
- Use a microfiber cloth for this method. Any other type of cloth will not give you the same polishing effect on your laminate countertops.
- Apply a few drops of the antibacterial cleaning solution to sections of your laminate countertops, and using the microfiber cloth, gently wipe away at the surface.
- Doing this regularly will ensure that your laminate countertops stay clean, germ-free, and do not have any dirt and dust deposits on them. The soft, microfiber cloth and the gentle wiping with the solution will cause your laminate countertop to shine as bright as granite.
How to make your laminate countertops shine using baking soda
The superhero of home cleaners; baking soda has come to the rescue once again! Baking soda can be used as a great polishing solution for your laminate countertop. Here are the steps on how you can do it:
- Take a bowl of water and mix a few tablespoons of baking soda to it. Mix it well to create a paste.
- Apply this paste to the surface of your laminate countertop. Using a soft brush or a cloth, scrub very gently at the surface. The grainy texture of the baking soda acts as a natural scrub and can remove any kind of grime and stains that might have deposited on your countertop.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe the countertop to remove any residue of the baking soda and water solution. Make sure to not scrub the surface too hard because you might damage it.
How to make your laminate countertops shine like granite using bleach
Once in a while, it is important to do a hardcore cleaning session on your laminate countertops in order to really wipe away all the grime and residue and make it shine brightly once again. Using bleach can be a great option. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a quart of water and add 1 tablespoon of bleach to it. If you need to add more water, simply add the water to bleach in the same ratio (1 tablespoon bleach to 1-quart water).
- Be sure to wear rubber gloves for this method as you do not want to injure or burn your skin. Bleach, even if diluted, can be extremely dangerous for your skin, so be sure to always wear your protective gear when performing this method of deep cleaning. Make sure you wear old clothes. If bleach gets in touch with the fabric, let’s say you’ll have to go and buy new ones!
- Take a soft cotton cloth and dampen it with the bleach water solution.
- Now, using gentle motions, scrub the surface of your laminate countertops. You can divide the countertop into sections and target one section at a time. However, when doing this, remember to keep a clean, damp cloth with you at all times. Use this cloth to immediately wipe down the part of the countertop which you have just wiped with the bleach and water solution. You should be very careful to not allow the bleach water solution to sit on the surface of your laminate countertops for too long, as it could cause discoloration and damage.
How to make your laminate countertops shine using car wax
You might not have heard of this method, but using car wax on your laminate countertops can actually work wonders to restore shine and life back to them. Here is how you can use car wax on your laminate countertops:
- The first thing to do is clean the surface of your laminate countertops using a soft microfiber cloth, and if required, some soapy water as well.
- Once you have dried the surface of the countertop, add some car wax to the clean countertop.
- With a clean cloth, apply the car wax to the surface of your laminate countertops in slow circular motions. Make sure that you don’t wipe too hard and cause streaking.
- Allow the wax to sit on the surface of the countertop for about 10 minutes.
- With another clean cloth, wipe down the excess car wax on your laminate countertop. This will act as a protectant as well as make your laminate countertops shine like granite!
How to make your laminate countertops shine using polyurethane
Polyurethane is a finish, top coat for countertops which you can easily find on the market. By using this easy method, you can bring back the glaze and shine to your laminate countertops, making it look as great as new once again!
- Apply 2 to 3 coats of glossy polyurethane to the top surface of your laminate countertops.
- Using a soft cloth, buff away at the surface of your countertop, removing any excess solution.
- Use gentle, circular motions only.
- Allow it to dry naturally. Your laminate countertops will shine like granite in no time!
Read also: Best robotic vacuum for dog hair!