Laminate countertops are one of the most durable and versatile types of countertops you can choose. The only downside is that they do not always shine as bright as granite. It does not mean that you need to settle for hazy looking countertops! Here are some of the best tips and tricks on how to make laminate countertops shine like granite.
After testing dozens of homemade solutions and special products to try to make our laminate countertops shine, we found that Weiman Granite Cleaner and Polish was by far the best one out there. This solution gave us the most prominent shine that lasted for a long time. You can read the full review further down in this article.
Table of Contents
- 1 Should you make laminate countertops shine like granite?
- 2 Best products for polishing laminate countertops
- 2.1 #01. Weiman Granite Cleaner and Polish
- 2.2 #02. Granite Gold Daily Cleaner
- 2.3 #03. Hope’s Premium Home Care Cleaner and Polish
- 3 How to make your laminate countertops shine using a microfiber cloth
- 4 How to make your laminate countertops shine using baking soda
- 5 How to make your laminate countertops shine like granite using bleach
- 6 How to make your laminate countertops shine using car wax
- 7 How to make your laminate countertops shine using polyurethane
Should you make laminate countertops shine like granite?
Laminate countertops have a lot of advantages; however, the only disadvantage to them would be the fact that they can start to look hazy and lose their shine. Nobody likes to have a kitchen that looks old. Compared to laminate countertops, granite seems to shine and look brighter in your kitchen no matter how old it is. A few simple home remedies along with regular cleaning and maintenance can make your laminate countertops shine just like granite. Before we can start to talk about any tips you need to understand that countertops can look hazy because of two main reasons. One being dirty because of negligence. The other reason is time. With time laminate countertops lose their natural shine, and in that case, you will need to use a polishing or waxing product.
Best products for polishing laminate countertops
When it comes to taking care of your laminate countertops, nothing can dull its shine like not having a few good cleaning products in hand. And surprise surprise, do you know what works best to make laminate shine like granite? – Granite polishers! That’s right, granite cleaners and polishers will work wonders. For those who are looking for some of the best cleaners and polishers on the market which will make their laminate countertops look amazing, here are our top three picks.
Looking for the best cleaner and polisher on the market can be quite a task. However, Weiman Granite Cleaner & Polish has just simplified this task for you. This solution works brilliantly not only to clean the surface of your laminate countertops but also add one special touch to it. The unique formula in Weiman Granite Cleaner and Polish adds depth to the laminate surface. It reveals the natural patterns and designs on your laminate surface, making it look all the more beautiful. The unique no streak formula cleans sanitizes and adds shine to your laminate countertops, making it look just like granite!
Whether you have unsightly water marks, grease marks, food residue, stains and spills, dirt, or even little etches and scratches on your laminate countertops, Weiman Cleaner, and Polish can target any stain and remove it immediately! The easy to use spray bottle formula makes this product so much easier and fun to use! The best part about this product is the fact that is it powerful enough to remove all kinds of marks and even add shine to your laminate countertops, yet, it is gentle enough for everyday use!
The Good – What We Like
- A wholly non-toxic and non-acidic solution which will not damage your laminate surface
- pH balanced formula which adds shine to your dull countertops
- Easy to use, spray bottle
- No streak formula
- Good for everyday use
- Can be used on delicate surfaces
- Long-lasting shine
Weiman Cleaner and Polish is our top pick for a cleaner which will not only clean your laminate countertop but also restore shine and luster to its surface, making it look like granite. The unique formula of this solution does not leave behind any unsightly marks or streaking and is gentle enough for everyday use! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon and find out all about this superb product; Wieman Cleaner and Polish.
There are very few cleaners on the market which can effectively clean the surface of your laminate countertops, leave behind a shine, and still be gentle enough for everyday use on surfaces where you handle your food. Well, the Granite Gold Cleaner is my second favorite pick when it comes to powerful but gentle cleaners for your laminate countertops.
Most homeowners are looking for a powerful enough formula which can tackle absolutely any kind of grime, dirt, food residue or even stains, without actually damaging the surface they are using it on. Most household cleaners can be quite abrasive and damage these surfaces when used long term. However, Granite Gold Cleaner contains a specially made formula which is ammonia free, phosphate free and non-toxic and non-acidic as well. The solution to all your dull laminate countertop problems!
The Good – What We Like
- A pleasant smelling solution leaves behind soft citrus fragrance on the surface it is used on
- Completely non-toxic and biodegradable solution
- An easy to use spray bottle solution which can be topped up anytime you are low on solution
- Protects the natural seal as well as add shine and luster to your laminate countertop
- No streaking
- Simple to use; spray and wipe off
- Long-lasting formula
- Can be used every day without any damage to the surface
The runner up for the best Laminate countertop cleaner would be the Granite Gold Cleaner. This particular cleaning formula adds an enhanced shine and luster to your laminate countertops, making it shine just like real granite. It also has a sealing and protective characteristic that protects the natural shine of your countertops, making it look just like new every time you use the product. Safe and simple enough for everyday use, find out all about the fantastic Granite Gold Cleaner. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon!
Finally coming to the last but still one of the best cleaners on the market; Hope’s Premium Home Care Cleaner and Polish. This formula of countertop cleaners can be used on entirely any surface, especially your beautiful laminate countertops. The best part about this formula is the fact that it is entirely chemical free, thus, making it gentle enough for everyday use.
One of the unique things about this product is the fact that Hope’s Premium Home Care Cleaner and Polish is a wax-free solution, which means that you will not find any build up, streaking or residue left behind on your countertops. Clean your laminate countertops like a pro and make them shine just like granite!
The Good – What We Like
- The pleasant scent on the surface after
- Easy to use formula; wipe on and wipe off
- Unique wax-free formula; no residue and no build up
- Very little product required for enhancing the shine of your laminate countertops
- Long lasting solution
- Removes all kinds of stains and streaks
A unique cleaner on the market due to its wax-free nature, Hope’s Premium Home Care Cleaner & Polish is one of the best laminate countertop cleaners that you can get for your home. The best part is that you need to use very little of this product to achieve that shine and luster which you have wanted, which means that the product lasts for a long time! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon!
How to make your laminate countertops shine using a microfiber cloth
A simple, effective method is using an antibacterial cleaner along with a microfiber cloth. It can work wonders to make your laminate countertops shine like granite. Also, you need to remember that regular cleaning of your laminate countertops with this simple solution can ensure that they always look like new with a shiny finish. Due to constant usage, a lot of dirt sticks to the surface and makes it look hazy. Sometimes this can be caused by bacterial colonization. Here is how you can do it:
- Pick any soft and gentle antibacterial cleaning solution. Avoid the ones who have harsh chemicals or are abrasive. If they contain abrasive in the formula, you can cause damage to your countertops.
- Use a microfiber cloth for this method. Any other type of cloth will not give you the same polishing effect on your laminate countertops.
- Apply a few drops of the antibacterial cleaning solution to sections of your laminate countertops, and using the microfiber cloth, gently wipe away at the surface.
- Doing this on a regular basis will ensure that your laminate countertops stay clean, germ-free, and do not have any dirt and dust deposits on them. The soft, microfiber cloth and the gentle wiping with the solution will cause your laminate countertop to shine as bright as granite.
How to make your laminate countertops shine using baking soda
The superhero of home cleaners; baking soda has come to the rescue once again! Baking soda can be used as a great polishing solution for your laminate countertop. Here are the steps on how you can do it:
- Take a bowl of water and mix a few tablespoons of baking soda to it. Mix it well to create a paste.
- Apply this paste to the surface of your laminate countertop. Using a soft brush or a cloth, scrub very gently at the surface. The grainy texture of the baking soda acts as a natural scrub and can remove any grime and stains that might have deposited on your countertop.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe the countertop to remove any residue of the baking soda and water solution. Make sure not to scrub the surface too hard because you might damage it.
How to make your laminate countertops shine like granite using bleach
Once in a while, it is essential to do a hardcore cleaning session on your laminate countertops to wipe away all the grime and residue and make it shine brightly once again. Using bleach can be a great option. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a quart of water and add one tablespoon of bleach to it. If you need to add more water, add the water to bleach in the same ratio (1 tablespoon bleach to 1-quart water).
- Be sure to wear rubber gloves for this method as you do not want to injure or burn your skin. Bleach, even if diluted, can be extremely dangerous for your skin, so be sure always to wear your protective gear when performing this method of deep cleaning. Make sure you wear old clothes. If bleach gets in touch with the fabric, let’s say you’ll have to go and buy new ones!
- Take a soft cotton cloth and dampen it with the bleach water solution.
- Now, using gentle motions, scrub the surface of your laminate countertops. You can divide the countertop into sections and target one part at a time. However, when doing this, remember to keep a clean, damp cloth with you at all times. Use this cloth to immediately wipe down the part of the countertop which you have just wiped with the bleach and water solution. You should be very careful not to allow the bleach water solution to sit on the surface of your laminate countertops for too long, as it could cause discoloration and damage.
How to make your laminate countertops shine using car wax
You might not have heard of this method, but using car wax on your laminate countertops can work wonders to restore shine and life to them. Here is how you can use car wax on your laminate countertops:
- The first thing to do is clean the surface of your laminate countertops using a soft microfiber cloth, and if required, some soapy water as well.
- Once you have dried the surface of the countertop, add some car wax to the clean countertop.
- With a clean cloth, apply the car wax to the surface of your laminate countertops in slow circular motions. Make sure that you don’t wipe too hard and cause streaking.
- Allow the wax to sit on the surface of the countertop for about 10 minutes.
- With another clean cloth, wipe down the excess car wax on your laminate countertop. It will act as a protectant as well as make your laminate countertops shine like granite!
How to make your laminate countertops shine using polyurethane
Polyurethane is the finish, top coat for countertops which you can easily find on the market. By using this easy method, you can bring back the glaze and shine to your laminate countertops, making it look as good as new once again!
- Apply 2 to 3 coats of glossy polyurethane to the top surface of your laminate countertops.
- With a soft cloth, buff away at the surface of your countertop, removing any excess solution.
- Use gentle, circular motions only.
- Allow it to dry naturally. Your laminate countertops will shine like granite in no time!
Read also: Best robotic vacuum for dog hair!