Who says only having a beautiful carpet is enough to impress your guests? Your carpets endure a great deal of wear and tear, spills, marks, and much less cleaning and vacuuming than they actually deserve. Your carpets can start to emit a musty or foul odor which can be hard to detect at first, but it doesn’t have to be hard to clean. Here are some of the best remedies for how to make your carpet smell good.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make your carpets smell good using baking soda
- 2 How to make your carpets smell good using your vacuum cleaner
- 3 How to make your carpets smell good using vinegar
- 4 How to make your carpets smell good using baking soda and cinnamon
- 5 How to make your carpets smell good using vodka and essential oils
How to make your carpets smell good using baking soda
Baking soda is one of the best and most natural remedies that you can use to deodorize your carpet off funky smells and add your favorite scent to it. Here is how you can do it:
- The first thing you need to do is to move all your furniture and accessories away so that you can conveniently work on your entire carpet without any hassle.
- Run your vacuum cleaner over your entire carpet once, so that you can pick up any dirt, dust, allergens, pet hair and dander and any other particles off your carpet.
- Now, take your baking soda and generously sprinkle it all over your carpet. Do not worry about using too much, you will be removing all of it anyway.
- In case you have a high pile carpet or a carpet with a lot of fibers, you can work in smaller sections. Sprinkle the baking soda over a small part, use your fingers to rub the baking soda into the carpet fibers, and then move on to the next section. You should be wearing gloves when you are doing this, just to be safe.
- Let the baking soda work its magic overnight on your carpet. Make sure you keep your children or pets away from the carpet during this time.
- Finally, vacuum up all the baking soda the next morning, and all the odors will be gone! Now, all you need to do is take a spray bottle, fill it up entirely with water, and add a few drops of your favorite essential oils and use this as your personal carpet freshener!
How to make your carpets smell good using your vacuum cleaner
A unique but exciting way in which you can make your carpet smell good is to add essential oil to the vacuum bag. Here is how you can do it:
- Make it a habit to vacuum your carpets regularly so that you can remove dirt and odors from them. Empty out your vacuum bag when it is full, and use this method.
- Take a few cotton balls and directly pour a few drops of your favorite essential oils on them. If you want, you can combine a few different essential oils to create your own scent.
- Add these cotton balls to your vacuum bag, and vacuum your carpets as you normally would. Every time you vacuum your carpets after this, the fresh, pleasant scent will transfer to your carpets and make them smell good.
How to make your carpets smell good using vinegar
Another great and easy method that you can use to remove bad smells from your carpets and make them smell good is to use vinegar. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a spray bottle and add equal parts of white distilled vinegar and water into it. You can also add a bit of lemon juice as well.
- Mix it well to create your personal solution.
- Spray this directly on your carpet whenever you need to. Now, keep your room well ventilated by opening the window or doors and turning on the fan.
- The smell of vinegar will disappear on its own, while at the same time removing any musty odors from your carpet.
- Now, you can simply spray your carpet with a freshener made out of essential oils and water to add a pleasant fragrance to them!
How to make your carpets smell good using baking soda and cinnamon
While baking soda works great to deodorize your carpets, the cinnamon adds a beautiful, pleasant scent to your carpets, making them smell naturally amazing. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small bowl and add 1 cup of baking soda along with a tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
- Mix these two powders well so that they combine thoroughly. Now, add this powder to a shaker container for easy access.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and cinnamon powder over your carpets directly and allow it to work for about 60 minutes. The baking soda will help to remove any odors while the cinnamon adds a very mild but pleasant scent to your carpets, making them smell naturally good.
- After about an hour, vacuum your carpet, as usual, to remove the powder and keep your carpets smelling fresh and pleasant.
How to make your carpets smell good using vodka and essential oils
Finally, here is a great spray that you can make easily at home using vodka (or rubbing alcohol if you wish to) and your favorite essential oils. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a large bowl and add 2 cups of distilled water, 3 tablespoons of vodka or rubbing alcohol, and 10 to 12 drops of your favorite essential oil. You can use more than one essential oil if you want, creating your own unique scent.
- Mix all of these ingredients properly and add them to a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution directly on your carpets as and when you wish. The vodka works excellent to remove any odors, and you don’t have to worry about your carpets smelling of booze, as the essential oils will work their magic and add a pleasant scent to your carpets. You can add tea tree essential oil to the solution as long as you don’t have pets at home, as this oil can be toxic to them, so keep this in mind. Otherwise, flavors like mint, lavender, and eucalyptus are great for adding to your solution and creating your very own spray!
- In case the smell is too overpowering, simply keep your room well ventilated for a while as the smell dissipates, and add some more water to the solution to balance out the smell of the essential oils.