Grease is a naturally sticky substance which can be hard to remove from items, especially from metal. If you are looking for some easy tips on how to remove grease from metal, you are in luck! Here are some of the most effective tips and tricks that will help you take care of this problem!
Table of Contents
- 1 How to clean grease from metal using dish soap and vinegar
- 2 How to get grease out of metal using rubbing alcohol
- 3 How to clean grease from metal using flour
- 4 How to clean grease from metal using baking soda and water
- 5 How to remove grease from metal using ammonia
- 6 Best products for removing grease from metal surfaces
How to clean grease from metal using dish soap and vinegar
Often, the most straightforward fixes are right in front of our eyes in the kitchen. Using ordinary dishwashing, soap and vinegar can help remove grease from any metal easily. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a soft, lint-free rag and dampen it in hot water. Make sure you squeeze out all the excess water such that the cloth is damp, not wet.
- Wipe the surface of the metal with this lint-free, damp cloth. Work in only one direction, avoid rubbing the grease in opposite directions as it can spread further and become harder to remove.
- Take a bowl filled with hot water and add some dishwashing soap so that it gets diluted.
- Now, dip a soft cloth or rag into the hot water and wipe the metal surface. It is best to avoid squirting the dishwashing soap directly on to the metal surface as it can get pretty hard to remove the soap residue.
- Now, take a soft cloth and pour some vinegar on to it.
- Using this cloth, wipe the surface of the metal. You can even apply pressure and blot the metal surface so that the vinegar soaks the grease. It can help loosen up the oil and make it easier to remove from the metal.
- Take a soft cloth and soak it in cold water this time. Wipe the surface of the metal using this. Make sure you remove all signs of vinegar, grease and dishwashing soap entirely from the metal surface.
- Wipe down the metal using a dry, soft cloth to prevent staining or streaking.
How to get grease out of metal using rubbing alcohol
Rubbing alcohol can be a great agent that can cut right through the oil on any surface, especially metals, and help you remove it efficiently. Here is how you can do it:
- The first thing you need to do is wipe down the grease-covered metal surface using paper towels or a soft, lint-free rag.
- If the grease is particularly stubborn, you can use a plastic scraper or a blunt plastic knife and scrape off as much grease as you can from the surface of the metal.
- Take a soft cloth and dip it in some rubbing alcohol. Now, using the wet portion of the delicate fabric, start rubbing on the grease stains on your metal surface. Avoid rubbing the grease in a back and forth motion, instead, try and rub it downwards in one direction only.
- Apply more rubbing alcohol to the soft cloth and keep repeating this till the stubborn grease has come off the metal surface.
- If you find that there is grease remaining, you can add some vinegar to your soft cloth and use this to clean away at the oil.
- Rinse the metal thoroughly under cold water and wipe it dry using a soft cloth.
How to clean grease from metal using flour
Who knew that you could remove one mess by making an even bigger mess? Well, if the grease stains on your metal are relatively fresh and new, you can use flour to clean it up. Here is how you can do it:
- Sprinkle some flour directly over the grease on the metal.
- Allow it to sit undisturbed for a few minutes. The way this works is that the flour absorbs the grease and oil from the metal, making it easier for you to clean up.
- Once the flour has absorbed most of the grease, use a clean paper towel to lift and wipe away most of the oil from the metal.
- If there is any grease left, treat it using the rubbing alcohol or vinegar method.
- Take a bowl of hot water and add dishwashing soap to it. You might even want to use grease-cutting liquid if you wish to.
- Dip a soft cloth into this and use it to scrub out any leftover grease from the metal surface.
- Rinse it thoroughly with cold water, and dry it off with a soft cloth or rag.
How to clean grease from metal using baking soda and water
Baking soda and water can act as a mild abrasive, cutting away at the oil with its alkaline solution and helping you remove it from your metal surface. Here is how you can do it:
- Add three tablespoons baking powder in a clean bowl and start adding water to it as you mix it regularly. Stop adding water once the baking soda solution has created a thick mixture like a paste. The ratio of baking soda is to water should typically be 3:1.
- Take a clean sponge and dip it into this baking soda and water solution.
- Gently scrub away at the grease on the metal surface. You can even apply the baking soda solution to the metal and allow it to sit for a few minutes. As it starts to work on the grease and loosen it up, you can use the sponge to scrub it away.
- Rinse the metal under cold water and dry it off thoroughly.
You can also make a solution of hot water and Caustic soda and spray it over the surface you want to clean. For more stubborn stains, you can use a nylon brush to scrub it off.
How to remove grease from metal using ammonia
A few quick steps using ammonia, baby oil, and dish soap can remove grease residue from metals in no time. Here is how you can do it:
- Add a bit of dishwashing detergent to a cup of hot water to dilute it.
- Dip a soft nylon brush into this and start scrubbing at the grease stains on the metal.
- Moisten a soft cloth with this soapy water and wipe away the grease.
- Add ammonia to a soft cloth. Use this to wipe the grease stains away as much as possible.
- If you still see any grease, you can use baby oil to fight it. Add baby oil to the greasy area on the metal and gently wipe it away. Continue adding the baby oil and rubbing it away till all the grease is gone.
- Rinse the area thoroughly and let it dry it off.
Best products for removing grease from metal surfaces
Sometimes a homemade remedy won’t do the trick. If you were looking for a commercial product that its sole purpose is to remove grease and oil stains from metal surfaces, here is our selection:
Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/ Degreaser
Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner and Degreaser is the most potent cleaner when it comes to removing grease and oil stains from metal surfaces. Simple Green’s Degreaser is an industrial-strength cleaner while still being non-toxic, non-flammable, and biodegradable. It doesn’t contain any added scents or color.Check the price on Amazon
When oil comes in contact with metal, you get the grease! A lot of people face this common issue where they do not know how to remove it. Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/ Degreaser comes in as the top pick of the best degreaser on the market for your degreasing needs.
The Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser is an industrial strength degreaser which works like magic to remove every bit of grease from absolutely any metal part that you would need to degrease.
The non-toxic formula makes it safe for you to use even for products at home. The degreaser is entirely non-flammable and non-corrosive as well, making it a popular choice amongst homeowners.
One of the best things about this degreasing formula is that it contains absolutely no color or fragrance, giving you absolute risibility as well a simple, fragrance-free solution for your degreasing needs!
Why We Like It:
- The Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/ Degreaser is a very versatile product which you can use on all kinds of metal surfaces without causing any damage.
- The degreasing formula is entirely fragrance-free and contains no added colors. This allows you to use the product without transferring any smells to your metal surfaces and will enable you to wash off the degreaser without the risk of running any colors!
- You can use this versatile degreasing product for steam cleaning, pressure washing, regular degreasing and maintenance, and a lot of other handy options.
- The utterly non-toxic formula allows you to use the degreasing safely in food preparation areas as well.
What We Don’t Like:
- While the degreaser is entirely fragrance-free, if you use it in an enclosed space in its full strength, it can be quite strong. However, there is a straightforward solution to this! Make sure you always use the product in a well-ventilated area, whether you use it in its full strength or its diluted version!
Why You Should Get It:
Finding a high quality, high strength, non-toxic degreaser on the market can be quite a task! The Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/ Degreaser is a versatile product which you can use on absolutely any metal surfaces for all your degreasing needs! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Spray Nine Grez-Off Heavy Duty Degreaser
Grez-Off is our runner up. The product is made of a biodegradable formula that will remove those nasty grease stains pretty fast. It is perfect for use on engines, machinery, or your tools in your garage. The product is also USDA approved. This is the best alternative to the product mentioned above.Check the price on Amazon
Finding grease on the metal portions of your cars and automobiles can be extremely frustrating, and sometimes, even hard to remove. However, Spray Nine Grez-Off Heavy Duty Degreaser is one such product that has been specially designed to target and remove the hardened grease from the metal parts of your automotive.
This heavy-duty degreasing solution works to instantly remove all kinds of grease, resorting both the beautiful appearance as well as the function to your metal parts.
You can use this product on a variety of metal parts on your cars and automotive, such as exhaust hoods, vents, conveyer, machinery and tools, trunks, etc.
The Spray Nine Grez-Off Heavy Duty Degreaser is entirely safe to use as it contains no dangerous fumes, is altogether non-toxic and non-corrosive and has absolutely no harsh petroleum solvents in it.
Why We Like It:
- Spray Nine Grez-Off Heavy Duty Degreaser works brilliantly to remove all kinds of tough grease such as lubricants, dirt, grime, hydraulic fluid, tar, heavy duty grease, and so much more. The product targets all kinds of stubborn grease and removes it efficiently.
- The non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-corrosive product is safe to use anywhere. The product does not have any fumes, which makes it even safer to use for car and bike owners — a completely green, biodegradable product.
- It is an extremely affordable product. The spray and use solution make it even more long-lasting for all of your automotive degreasing needs!
- There is absolutely no kind of residual grit or crud left behind that you need to deal with.
What We Don’t Like:
- For those who are using the degreasing product out in the sun, you might find that the degreaser dries out or even stains your metal parts. The solution to this issue is very simple! Simply use the product in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight, and you will not face this issue at all.
Why You Should Get It:
A high quality, tough degreaser which has super strength is something that everyone looks for. This product offers all of those qualities in a small, spray, use to use bottle! Completely safe and non-toxic, the Spray nine Grez-Off Heavy Duty Degreaser is the best product on the market for your cars and automotive. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner
If you are looking to remove grease stains from metal surfaces in your kitchen, then Easy-Off is the perfect product for you. It is not as powerful as the others but safe to use around the kitchen. Works great, especially one baked on grease stains. Ideal for self-cleaning ovens, oven doors, pans, or stainless steel surfaces in your home.Check the price on Amazon
Your kitchen is one of the most common places for oil and grease to set on your metal items. However, finding a great oven cleaner which is safe to use and has no fumes can be tough. The Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner does the magic, just as its name suggests!
The advanced technology used while designing this formula allows you to use it on your cold oven with brilliant results.
The fume-free solution ensures that you do not suffer from any fumes or irritation while using this safe product.
Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner comes with a mild, lemony scent, which completely refreshes and brings back the aesthetic beauty to your oven once again.
Why We Like It:
- While the product is extremely tough and can target and remove absolutely any baked-on spills and grease from metal, it is safe to use and has no toxic gas, fumes or lye.
- The lemony fragrance refreshes your oven, bringing back its functionality, looks, and making it look and smell completely brand new.
- The advanced cold oven technology means that you no longer have to heat your oven and wait for degreasing it! Simply use it on your cold oven and get beautiful results!
- The spray bottle formula makes it very easy to use. Spray, wait for a few minutes, and wipe away the grease and spills quickly.
What We Don’t Like:
- While the lemon fragrance can be great for some users, some might prefer not to have this scent in their ovens at all. Well, there is a straightforward solution to this issue. While and after applying the degreaser, keep your room well ventilated. After you have used the product in your oven, keep the oven door ajar so that the lemon scent dissipates naturally!
Why You Should Get It:
A sturdy, yet gentle on the oven degreaser is what every homeowner hopes to find. The Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner is the best product on the market for this very purpose. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.