Did you know that your plastic shower curtains are highly susceptible to developing mold and mildew simply because of their constant exposure to moisture, soap scum, and damp conditions? Wherever there is moisture, mold can thrive. If you are looking for ways on how to remove mold from plastic shower curtain, then read on, as you will find out all the methods to efficiently remove mold from your plastic shower curtains.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to wash your moldy plastic shower curtain
- 2 How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtain using bleach
- 3 How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtain using vinegar and baking soda
- 4 How to remove mold from your shower curtains using hydrogen peroxide
- 5 How to remove mold from your shower curtains using borax
- 6 How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtains using oxygen bleach
- 7 How to prevent mold on your shower curtain
How to wash your moldy plastic shower curtain
One of the simplest ways to get rid of the mold from your plastic shower curtain is by simply washing it.
- Put the shower curtain in the washing machine
- Add one or two towels in the washing machine as well. These will get in contact with the curtain and cause friction which will improve the mold removal.
- In the detergent compartment, pour 1/2 cup of detergent and 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
- Set the washing machine on a gentle cycle and let it do its magic.
How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtain using bleach
One of the most common methods you can use to remove the mold from your plastic shower curtains is to use bleach. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtain from its hooks and place it in your washing machine along with a couple of towels or washcloths. These will act as a natural, mild scrubbing agent and help you remove the mold.
- Add 1/4th cup of laundry detergent along with ½ a cup of chlorine bleach with warm water.
- Run a normal wash cycle on the lowest temperature setting, as you are washing plastic shower curtains.
- Run the cycle for just 10 minutes, once it has run its course, immediately dry your shower curtains outside. Do not tumble dry your plastic shower curtains as they will damage.
- Remember to keep your bathroom well ventilated when you are using this method as the bleach can cause irritation in your eyes or your skin.
How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtain using vinegar and baking soda
One of the best methods for removing mold from your plastic shower curtains is by using a mixture of baking soda and vinegar. It not only removes the mold but destroys the mold spores entirely so that they do not reappear. Here is how you can do it:
- The first step you need to take is to put 1 cup of distilled white vinegar into your washing machine along with warm water and run it in the first rinse cycle without anything else.
- Once you have done this, remove your shower curtains from its hooks and place it into your washing machine along with a few towels.
- Add ½ cup laundry detergent and a ½ cup of baking soda into the washing machine along with warm water.
- Remove your shower curtains from the washing machine before it goes into the spin cycle.
- Allow your plastic shower curtains to dry naturally by hanging them outside.
How to remove mold from your shower curtains using hydrogen peroxide
With this method, you can manually wash your plastic shower curtains using a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtains from their hooks and place them on a flat surface in your bathroom.
- Create a solution of 2 parts of hydrogen peroxide and 1 part of water and mix it well. Add this solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray your shower curtain generously with this hydrogen peroxide and water solution.
- Allow it to sit undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- Take another small bowl and create a paste made of baking soda and water. Add the baking soda to the pot first, and slowly add water and mix it till you form a paste-like consistency.
- Take a scrub brush and scrub your plastic shower curtain with this baking soda and water paste. Be careful not to rub it too hard as you don’t want to damage your shower curtains in the process. Use gentle, circular motions to scrub your shower curtains and remove the mold from it.
- Once you are done scrubbing, rinse off your shower curtains thoroughly.
- Allow your shower curtains to air dry by hanging them outside.
How to remove mold from your shower curtains using borax
Another excellent method of removing mold from your shower curtains is to use borax. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtains from its hooks and take it outside. Brush off the dried mold which you can see on the shower curtains. For this process, you can wear protective eye gear and a mask so that you do not inhale the mold spores. Do not do this method indoors, as you will redistribute the mold spores in your home.
- Fill up your washing machine halfway with warm water, and then add cold water to the rest of the washing machine. You should not use boiling water as this will set the mold even further into your shower curtains.
- Now, place the shower curtain into your washing machine along with a few towels.
- Add ½ a cup of laundry detergent along with borax into your washing machine.
- Run one wash cycle, and then rinse off the shower curtain with cold water only.
- Once you have done this, allow your shower curtains to air dry naturally outdoors.
- Place your shower curtains to dry in direct sunlight, as this will get rid of any remaining mold spores from your shower curtains.
How to remove mold from your plastic shower curtains using oxygen bleach
Finally, you can use this natural method involving oxygen bleach to remove mold from your shower curtains. Here is how you can do it:
- Remove your plastic shower curtain from its hook in the bathroom and place it outdoors. Take a brush and brush out any visible mold from the shower curtain. Make sure you are wearing protective eye gear and a mask while you are doing this.
- In your bathtub, fill up 2 quarts of hot water and add 4 tablespoons of oxygen bleach into it.
- Place your shower curtain into the tub and allow it to soak for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the shower curtain from your bathtub and squeeze out the excess water and oxygen bleach from the curtains.
- Fill up your tub with fresh, warm water and rinse out your shower curtain in this.
- Finally, remove the shower curtain but don’t wring it to remove the excess water. Simply place your shower curtain outside to dry.
How to prevent mold on your shower curtain
Take a look at this awesome video that has a few cool tips that will help you a lot: