Permanent markers can be a blessing, or a curse, depending upon who gets their hands on them! If you have ever accidentally gotten permanent marker on your leather surface, or your naughty children have colored your leather with the markers, you know how frustrating it can be. Well, if you are looking for ways on how to remove permanent marker from leather, then here is everything you need to know about it!
If you want a quick solution, just check out the Car Guys Super Cleaner on Amazon. It is an amazing cleaner when trying to remove marker stains. You can check our full impressions with this product further down in the article. Before that, let’s talk about what you can do with your home supplies.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using sunscreen lotion
- 2 How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using oil-free hairspray
- 3 How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using turpentine
- 4 How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using hand sanitizer
- 5 How to remove permanent marker from faux leather
- 6 Best cleaners for removing permanent marker
How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using sunscreen lotion
As odd as this may sound, you can actually remove the permanent marker stains from your leather surface using just a dollop of your favorite sunscreen. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small amount of sunscreen on a clean, dry, white towel. It is best to use a white towel for this method, as it will allow you to check if you are successfully removing the permanent marker stains or not. And also not transfer any more color from the towel on to your leather surface.
- Now, use a very gentle, but firm grip and start rubbing the sunscreen from the white towel on to the permanent marker stained area on your leather surface. Be extremely mindful when you do this; if you apply too much pressure, you can end up discoloring your leather.
- Keep checking the white towel to monitor the progress of how much of the permanent marker stains are coming off on the towel.
- Apply some more sunscreen if you need to, and continue doing this till you altogether remove the permanent marker stains from your leather surface.
- Finally, gently wipe off the sunscreen residue from your leather surface when you finish cleaning all the stains off it.
- Finally, apply a small amount of leather conditioner on the surface after you are done.
How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using oil-free hairspray
An old free hairspray is usually high in alcohol content, which makes it easy for you to remove the permanent marker stains from leather. Here is how you can do it:
- Spray some oil-free hairspray directly on a clean, white towel.
- Before the hairspray has a chance to dry, take your white towel and begin to rub it in gentle circular motions on the permanent marker stains from the leather surface. Make sure that you are using firm but gentle circular motions only, and keep checking the towel, as you might end up discoloring the leather surface if you rub too hard at it with the hairspray.
- If you need to, you can reapply some hairspray on to the white towel, but apply it in a new area of the towel, and not the part which already has the permanent marker stains on it.
- Continue using this method to clean the permanent marker stains from your leather surface until it is spotless.
- Finally, wipe down the leather surface so that you can remove any residue and final marks from the leather. Apply a leather conditioner to the area where you have used this cleaning method, as it can often damage or traumatize the area on the leather. The leather conditioner will protect your leather surface from any further damage.
How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using turpentine
Here is another method that you can use to remove permanent marker stains from leather. However, you need to be very careful when you use this method, as you don’t want to damage your leather surface. Here is how you can do it:
- Using some paper towels, gently blot the permanent marker stains from the leather surface. If the stains are relatively fresh, you should be able to remove at least a small amount of the ink from the leather. Of course, be very careful not to rub at the ink, as you might simply spread the stain even further.
- Take a cotton ball and apply a small amount of turpentine directly on to it. Now, using this cotton ball, gently rub at the permanent marker stains on the leather using small, circular motions. Be very careful while doing this; you should not apply too much pressure, as you will end up damaging the delicate leather or even discoloring it.
- Use a new piece of cotton and some more turpentine as you require, and keep doing this till you remove all of the ink stains from your leather surface.
- Finally, blot and wipe down the leather surface using some soft towels.
- For the final step, use a leather conditioner on the surface of the leather using some clean, dry, white towels. It will help restore the natural look of your leather while at the same time protect it from any further damage.
How to remove permanent marker stains from leather using hand sanitizer
Another great alternative you can try to remove permanent marker stains from leather is to use a hand sanitizer. The reason this works is because of the alcohol content in the hand sanitizer. Here is how you can do it:
- Take a small amount of any hand sanitizer on a clean, white towel.
- Using this white towel, directly rub the permanent marker stain on your leather surface. However, remember to use very gentle, circular motions when you do this, as the alcohol content in the hairspray might cause some fading or discoloration on your leather.
- If the stain persists, take some more of the hand sanitizer and apply it on to a new area of the white towel. Once again, use the circular motions to rub at the stains on your leather surface. Remember to not rub for more than a few minutes, as you don’t want to damage your delicate leather.
- Finally, blot and clean off all the residue from the leather surface using a clean towel or some paper towels.
- Take another clean, white towel and apply some leather conditioner on to it. Use this on the same area of your leather to restore it and protect the leather from any further damage.
How to remove permanent marker from faux leather
You will find many different solutions when it comes to removing permanent marker stains from faux leather. You can always use saddle soap for removing these stains. However, to really clean faux leather off these stains and protect the texture, it is best to use the right cleaner formula.
You can apply the cleaner formula directly on your faux leather, or on a damp sponge. Use it for removing the stains and also conditioning your faux leather at the same time. Finally, make sure you thoroughly wipe and dry the leather to keep it looking clean, fresh, and shiny.
Best cleaners for removing permanent marker
Although the methods above are helpful and will remove the permanent marker stains, sometimes you may need something much stronger. It will help you do this task faster and easier. Here are a few products to help you out:
Car Guys Super Cleaner
If you need a powerful cleaner to tackle the most stubborn marker stains on leather, then CarGuys Super Cleaner is what you should get. It is the most effective, versatile cleaner which you can use on leather, vinyl, rubber, fabric, and even metal. Just spray the solution on the stained surface and let it do its magic. On top of all, the product ads a UV protective coating on the leather.Check the price on Amazon
The permanent marker does not need to leave permanent stains on your leather items any longer! Car Guys Super Cleaner is a highly effective cleaning solution that works at a molecular level. The cleaning formula has the newest nanotechnology, which lifts up permanent marker stains right from the very root, making them vanish forever.
One of the best things about Car Guys Super Cleaner is the UV guard protection that is built into the ingredients. While other cleaners not only clean your leather items but also strip off its shine and texture, Car Guys absolutely does not do that. The ingredients not only clean but also condition your leather products, making them soft and shiny.
The water-based polymer formula of Car Guys Super Cleaner is entirely safe and so easy to use. You spray the cleaner directly on the permanent marker stains- no need for rinsing out the product once you finish!
Why We Like It:
- No residue, streaking or gloss left behind after using the cleaner
- Cleans as well as protects leather
- No-rinse formula
- Completely safe to use regularly- no ammonia or harsh chemical cleaners
What We Don’t Like:
- Heavy usage of the product without protection can result in dry hands or irritation.
The fix: Wear some protective gloves while using this cleaner, and you will not face this problem at all! In case you use the product without gloves, wash the residue from your hands immediately with soap and water to get rid of any irritation.
Why You Should Get It:
When it comes to removing tough stains like permanent marker from leather, Car Guys Super Cleaner is an excellent choice for you. It not only cleans and protects, but the mild coconut perfume of the product smells great! Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
The Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner is another amazing cleaner for removing permanent marker marks. This is a product made to tackle stains on any leather surface or product. It comes with a balanced pH which makes it perfect for keeping your leather furniture, car seats or clothes safe. The Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner is colorless, odorless and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.Check the price on Amazon
Merely cleaning your leather products isn’t enough- you need to condition and protect them as well. Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner work to not only clean and remove permanent marker stains, but also condition and restore shine to your leather products.
If you are looking for a leather cleaner that will not damage its texture or color, you need to find one with a neutral pH balance. That is precisely what Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner are. The pH neutral solution ensures that the cleaner does not damage the leather in any way.
Chemical Guys is extremely easy to use. The best part is that it does not leave behind any residue or streaking, making it super easy to clean.
Finally, you don’t have to worry about wastage any longer thanks to this great formula. Pour a small amount of this product and use it to clean your leather products efficiently. Each bottle lasts for a long time- reducing wastage and increasing productivity.
Why We Like It:
- pH neutral formula
- Cleans as well as conditions leather
- Vitamin E nourishes leather and protects it from sun damage
- Completely colorless and odorless formula to keep natural color and scent of leather alive
What We Don’t Like:
- For very stubborn and stuck on stains, a single usage of the cleaner is not enough to altogether remove them.
The fix: Apply the cleaner a second time, letting the solution soak for a minute or two first. Then wipe it off and repeat again if necessary. It will altogether remove all stains from leather efficiently.
Why You Should Get It:
Removing permanent marker stains from leather has never been easier. Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner not only clean, condition but also restore shine, texture, and scent to your leather products. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.
Leather Honey Leather Cleaner
If you are a supporter of a good old family tradition, you need to take a look a the Leather Honey Cleaner. This is a cleaner made in the USA by a small family business specializing in leather cleaning products. The product formula is highly concentrated which means you get great value from each bottle you get. The product is gentle on the leather but yet powerful enough to remove even permanent marker stains.Check the price on Amazon
Permanent marker stains on your beautiful leather can be so painful to remove. However, Leather Honey Leather Cleaner is a great formula that works great in removing these stains. Not just that, the formula also conditions your leather items, keeping them feeling soft, smelling great, and looking shiny.
Leather Honey Leather Cleaner comes in a concentrated formula, which means you need to dilute it with water first. Not only does this allow you to control the concentration of the cleaner, but it also reduces wastage! Use Leather Honey Leather Cleaner for multiple uses by merely diluting the cleaner as and when you need to.
Keep Leather Honey Leather Cleaner on your shelf for years- the product will not dry up or evaporate. Use it for all kinds of leather cleaning and conditioning. When diluting the cleaner, make sure you use clean, purified bottled water only for the best results. You can even mix and store the cleaner after diluting it!
Why We Like It:
- Cleans and conditions leather at the same time
- Formula smells great
- Dilute the solution for more comfortable use
- Oily residue quickly absorbs into the leather within a few minutes
What We Don’t Like:
- If you use too much of the cleaner, there can be a strong smell and sticky residue on your leather
The fix: Ventilate the area, so the smell naturally disappears quickly, and wipe down the leather product once again. The sticky residue will automatically absorb into the leather product, leaving behind no stickiness.
Why You Should Get It:
Remove all tough permanent marker stains from your leather products with the help of Leather Honey Leather Cleaner. Not just clean, but also condition the leather efficiently. It works like a charm on all colors and textures of leather. Click here to check other customer reviews on Amazon.