Most moms are aware of the fact that their babies put everything they find around them inside their mouth; including their baby toys! It is extremely important to sterilize baby toys to ensure that your young ones are not playing with something which is infected with germs or simply dirt and grime. Here are some of the easy ways on how to sterilize baby toys. First, we will go through the homemade solutions to help you out. Later on, in the article, you can read reviews of certain products that we recommend like the Wabi Sterilizer.
Table of Contents
- 1 When and how often should you sterilize your baby’s toys?
- 2 How to sterilize baby toys using diluted bleach
- 3 How to sterilize baby toys using boiling water
- 4 How to sterilize baby toys using white vinegar and baking soda
- 5 How to sterilize baby toys using rubbing alcohol
- 6 How to sterilize baby toys using a steam cleaner
- 7 Commercial products to sterilize baby toys
- 8 Sienna Lux UV Light Sanitizer
- 9 Munchkin Steam Microwave Sterilizer
- 10 Wabi Baby Touch Panel Dual Function Sterilizer and Dryer
When and how often should you sterilize your baby’s toys?
It is recommended to sterilize your baby’s toys at least once a month. There are many unwanted germs and even mold (especially in toys used in the bathroom) that stick to the surface of the toys and most likely in contact with your baby. You should always remember to sterilize your baby’s toys after:
- You or your child were sick
- Other babies were using the toys (even worse – put the toys in their mouth)
- The toy got dirty with food or vomit
- After a toy has fallen on the ground or behind furniture
How to sterilize baby toys using diluted bleach
A diluted solution of bleach, if used with extreme care and caution, can be a great way to disinfect your baby’s toys.
- First, you will need to clean the toys manually using soapy water and rinse it out well with clean, warm water. Make sure that you get the entire soapy residue out of the toy before going on to the next step.
- Dilute one tablespoon of bleach into a gallon of water and use this solution to disinfect your baby’s toys. You can individually dip the toys into this solution and rinse them out, or use a sponge to wipe out the solution from the toys and then rinse them out.
- It is extremely important to properly rinse out the baby toys before giving them to your baby to play with, as bleach can be dangerous if ingested by your baby.
How to sterilize baby toys using boiling water
As we already know, boiling water can help in killing off 99% of germs from any surface. However, when you are thinking about sterilizing your baby’s toys, you must keep in mind the material of the toys. Materials like plastic or metal are not a good idea to use for this cleaning solution.
- Hard, durable toys made of materials which cannot melt easily are best sterilized using this method.
- Place the baby toys either all together or individually into a pot on top of your stove.
- Allow the water to reach up to a boiling point and let it boil for just about ten minutes.
- After this is done, carefully extract the toys and allow them to dry naturally.
How to sterilize baby toys using white vinegar and baking soda
White vinegar and baking soda can naturally disinfect and sterilize your baby toys without the need of any harsh chemicals.
- Remove any bows, buttons, or metal pieces that might be hanging off your baby toys. Keep in mind that any kind of toys which have batteries or electrical wiring should not be sterilized using this method.
- Place your baby toys inside the dishwasher, and add a solution of 1 cup vinegar to 10 cups of water to the dishwasher.
- Before placing your baby toys inside the dishwasher, you can sprinkle some baking soda on them.
- Run a proper cycle on your dishwasher to completely sterilize your baby toys and make them safe for your young ones again!
How to sterilize baby toys using rubbing alcohol
Rubbing alcohol in a diluted version can be used for quick sterilization of baby toys without much hassle.
- Make a solution of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water and mix this well.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle.
- Now, simply mist the solution over the toys and let it sit for a few minutes, before rubbing it down with a clean, dry cloth. This will sterilize your baby’s toys in the easiest way possible!
How to sterilize baby toys using a steam cleaner
Using a steam cleaner is a chemical free, easy solution to sterilizing your baby’s toys which have the same effect as putting them in boiling water.
- Use a steam cleaning machine to clean all your baby toys, even the plastic ones which you cannot clean easily using boiling water.
- Wipe down the excess water vapor from the baby toy with a clean cloth once you are done.
Commercial products to sterilize baby toys
While these home remedies work perfectly fine, some parents are more cautious about cleanliness and wish to use strong, commercial products for sterilizing of their baby toys. Here are the top 3 products which you can use for this!
Sienna Lux UV Light Sanitizer
For those parents who get paranoid about their kids playing with toys which might have germs or bacteria on them, the Sienna Lux UV Sanitizer will allow you to breathe a big sigh of relief the next time your kids put their toys in their mouth!
- Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 6.5 x 4 inches
- Technology: uses a continuous UV-C light for sanitization
- Compact design does not take up much space
- Effectively kills 99.99% germs using only UV-C light; chemical free
- Simply start the machine and walk away, no need to watch over it
The lid of the machine does not open all the way, so stuffing in larger products can be slightly difficult. However; it is not impossible, and you can place a product one at a time individually into the machine for optimal sanitation.
For germ-free baby toys with a simple machine, this is your solution! Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Munchkin Steam Microwave Sterilizer
For those parents who prefer a rather chemical-free solution to sterilize their baby’s toys, but are not comfortable with using boiling water to do so, Munchkin Steam Sterilizer is the ideal solution for them.
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Dimensions: 12.5 x 11.3 x 6.7 inches
- Technology: Steam cleaning technology; to be used in microwaves
- Fast working; takes only 4 minutes inside the microwave and 10 minutes to sit outside
- Heat resistant handles ensure that you do not injure yourself while extracting the product
- Large inside capacity
Once the steam is allowed to cool off, there can be a small puddle of water created on your counter due to condensation. However, you can simply lay a towel or a plastic underneath the product to catch the water droplets.
Just 14 minutes to squeaky clean, sterilized toys! Click here to check the current price on Amazon.
Wabi Baby Touch Panel Dual Function Sterilizer and Dryer
Dry and sterilize baby products using gentle heat and UV light; an all in one unit for ultimate sterilization. You can use several options depending on your requirements, and even store baby toys in the unit when not in use, providing all time sanitation. Wabi Baby Sterilizer is one of the best ones out there.
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Dimensions: 13.8 x 11.5 x 16.5 inches
- Technology: gentle, dry heat and UV rays
- A completely noiseless technology for drying as well as disinfection of baby toys effectively
- Dual UV bulbs which are long lasting
- The door opens a full 180 degrees for easy access and easy cleaning and maintenance
The buttons and temperature reading panel are placed quite low, being a minor design flaw, however, if you place your Wabi Baby on a higher stand, you can easily use the buttons and panel without having to bend down.
An all-round solution to cleaning, sanitizing, drying and storage. Click here to check the current price on Amazon.